Camera VS Drawing View

I’m designing a turn-around on a layer with 8 frames. I’ve only imported a SWF as a “Model-Sheet” reference. On the layer that I’m doing the work on, there’s 8 cells, one for each drawing/frame of this soon-to-be cut-out character.

So I’m drawing away, doing roughs and then refining them using the onion skin in the Camera view. Every time I Save or Save As, the current frame indicator (CFI) goes to the last frame of the scene (Frame 8 ). I’ve extended the scene to 80 frames (didn’t extend any exposures or created new drawings/cells) did a Save and the CFI goes to frame 80.

Now when I switch to the Drawing view, when I save I stay on the correct frame. But then I have various layer’s visibility turned off and when I switch to Drawing View, I have to go back and make everything visible in the time line’s layers and then uncheck the visibility check box for the specific layers I don’t want visible at this point.

Yeah, yeah, some peeps can’t be made happy. :smiley:

Big question I have is what exactly are the differences between the Camera and Drawing view, beyond what the manual says? What should the workflow be in creating content totally within Animate?

I have yet to figure out how to use imported bitmaps as “guides” for me to trace over in Animate. I have three drawings of a character. I import each on as a bitmap into animate. they’re converted into symbols. I then place each symbol on its own cell/frame on a drawing layer named Reference. Then in my drawing layer for the CutOut figure, I begin to draw in the artwork using Animate’s tools. That’s on frame 1, then when I go to frame 2 of the Cutout drawing, I still see frame 1 of the Reference layer. When I go to frame 3 of the Cutout layer, I see Frame 2 of the Reference Layer. That’s in the Drawing View.

When I switch to Camera View, I’m working on the Cutout layer. When I’m on frame 1, I see frame 1 of the Reference layer. On frame 2 (still on the cutout layer) I see frame 2 of the Reference layer. Same thing on Frame 3. All the Frames match up.

I created a new symbol and placed the three turn-around reference symbols into it. Made sure that each symbol was showing on the correct frame. I dropped that symbol into my project. In the camera view, it works fine. In the drawing View, same thing as before (frame 1 is “on” for two frames, and frame 2 and 3 of the reference layer is “offset” by one frame).

Next I created a new layer for each of the reference symbols and made sure they all had one exposure on the specific frame they “belong” to – Frame 1 got the front view, Frame 2 got the 3/4 side view and Frame 3 got the side view.

Camera View all works just fine, Drawing View, same as the last two times.

Now when I’m creating art from scratch totally within Animate, none of this happens; except for the pop to last frame after a save in Camera View and the visible/hidden issue with layers in the Drawing View.

Am I doing anything wrong? Are these mostly issues due to Animate being so new?

BTW, in the drawing view, when I select a cell that has a Bitmap on it, the bitmap vanishes from the drawing view window. I can only see Bitmaps if I’m on a layer above or below.

thanks for reading this and looking forward to replies.

Hello Mike,

The drawing view is primarily designed to draw in and the Camera View is for animating (movement) and effects.

If you need a reference bitmap for tracing over, you should import the bitmap(s) and then show only this element and the drawing element used for the tracing. This is easiest done in the Camera View.

Within the context of creating a cut-out character - create the hierarchy first (structure of elements) and follow the above method. Note that while drawing the left hand, you would enable (show) only the left hand element
and the reference artwork element “underneath”.

For different views of your reference artwork - import them all into the same reference artwork symbol. Edit the symbol to put the reference bitmaps at the exact frames necessary for constructing the character.