Camera View Problem

Recently I’ve noticed a change in my computer performance every time I change to Camera View. TBS becomes unstable and frequently crashes. I’m wondering if there’s a connection to the number of images stored in the Global Library (which is increasing daily) and overall program performance.

When I originally loaded TBS, my first animated image was a walking man. This performed well. Now, when I attempt to draw a very similar image, the program is unstable when accessing the Camera View. I am convinced the overall size of the image is not the problem.

Any ideas?

Here’s the error message:

'Runtime Error!
Program: …m\Toon Boom Animation\Toom Boom Studio 3.5\TBS.exe
abnormal program termination’

and…

‘The exception unknown software exception (0xc00000fd) occurred in the application at location 0x670ae757. Click on OK to terminate the program’

Hi Bainn,

First, would it be possible to know the specs of your computer (cpu / video card / ram / OS). Second thing you might want to consider is increase the amount of virtual memory on your machine. If you do not know how to do that let me know and I will run you through the process.

Next, is your character made from bitmap images or images you have drawn inside the software? Is it a cut out character or a tradionnal animated character (fully drawn)?

One thing you could try is to disable the anti-aliasing function in Toon Boom Studio. This function takes a lot from your video card and depending on how well the card support OpenGL this might make the application unstable. To get this done, you will need to go through Edit>Preferences>Display tab and disable the OpenGL Full Screen Anti-aliasing feature.

Let us know if we can be of further help to you.

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanks Ugo for the detailed response. I have disabled the OpenGL and the results have been immediate and positive. My computer specs are as follows:

Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.21 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM (MS Windows XP)
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (video card)

To answer your further question, my cartoon is 100% created & drawn within the TBS program.

I would be interested in increasing the amount of virtual memory but don’t know how. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Bainn,

Here is the procedure to get increase your virtual memory. Just so you know, virtual memory is actually swap space that is used on your hard drive when you run out of ram. We usually suggest people to set the virtual memory to about 2-4 times the ram they have (as long has they have that amount free space on your hard drive).

1. Go to the Control Panel (Start Menu>Settings>Control Panel)
2. Go to System
3. In the System Properies window you have just opened go in the Advanced tab and press the Settings button in the Performances section of the window.
4. In the Performance Options go to the Advanced tab and press the Change button of the Virtual memory section.
5. In the Virtual Memory window check the Custom size radio button. In the initial size you can put about 2 times your ram (2000) and 3 to 4 times your ram (4000) in the Maximum size.
6. Press the Set button then press Ok until you leave the System property tab.

That should be it. This feature should prevent the application to unexpectedly close when you work on heavy project.

Best regards,

Ugo

Done and done. Thank you very much. Your instructions were very easy to follow and extremely informative. Great customer service. Thanks again.