Breaking down / rigging character with glasses

Hi,

I’m having fun making my way through the video tutorials while working with my own character, but I keep getting stumped. My character was designed with glasses, which I placed on a separate layer to employ a semi-transparent overlay.

I’m keeping a file with them separated, so I can draw multiple eye positions for later down the road, and for the breaking down secondary parts tutorial I just merged them onto one layer with the character (to follow with the tutorial), but now I’m at the section where I need to cut the eyes, and I realize that my flattened image won’t work. I need to be able to move the eyes beneath the glasses.

So…anybody know the best way to rig a character with glasses?

on my youtube channel, destinededucation, I show an eye rig. You can use that and just place the glasses rims on top (and the the transparent glass if you want it).

Thanks. I guess what I’m asking specifically though is how should I plan ahead for a character with glasses? I’m clear on how to cut out and rig the eyes.

But exactly how do I go about connecting the glasses afterwards? Will they be a separate layer? Will they move with the character’s head, but can I animate them independently as well?

Just trying to plan ahead to avoid backtracking.

Ah…wait. I guess I’m over-thinking it… Guess I just need the glasses as a separate drawing and then need to hook it up somehow in the network view. Thanks!

Ah…wait. I guess I’m over-thinking it… Guess I just need the glasses as a separate drawing and then need to hook it up somehow in the network view. Thanks!

yes, just make a child of the head or eyes, like the eyes are a child of the head and they automatically follow

Cool…thanks for the help!

These are all really an interesting ideas and are really unique as one of my uncle was also asking the same to me so know i can tell him abut it.
http://www.risslanddoor.com/services.htm