Boom Studio v3.0 for Mac

I AM HAVING TROUBLE IN THE “VIEW” SECTION. “ONION SKIN”, “SHOW PREVIOUS SCREENS”!

WHY ARE THE PREVIOUS SCREENS ALSO DRAWN IN THE SAME COLOR, BLACK TOO? YOU CAN’T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SCREENS! SO IT’S IMPOSSIBLE TO DRAW INBETWEENS!

PREVIOUS VERSIONS DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM!
HOW DO I REMEDY THIS PROBLEM?

HELP!

PaulieWalnuts

hi and welcome :slight_smile:
usually you can set the display color under main menu
edit > preferences > light table tab. in onion skin section you can click on a color square and change it as you want in the pop up color palette.

what i don’t understand is why it went wrong. apparently you haven’t changed the settings…
cheers,
rob

Thanks Rob i’ll try that!

PaulieWalnuts :smiley:

UNFORTUNATELY IT STILL DOES NOT WORK!

I TRIED (edit>preferences>… does not exsist in my version AND YOU CAN’T CHOOSE COLOR WHILE IN THE TOP MENU “ONION SKIN”). I THEN TRIED THIS "TOONBOOM>PREFERENCES AND THEN CLICKED ON THE “LIGHT TABLE” TAB AND THEN THE ONION SKIN HEADING APPEARED. THREE BOXES, THE FIRST, A CHECK BOX OF “ENABLE COLOR SHADING”, THE 2ND AND 3RD ARE RED AND GREEN BOXES REPRESENTING “PREVIOUS DRAWINGS” ONE AND TWO. YOU CAN ADJUST THE SHADE OF COLOR YOU WANT WITH THE POP-UP COLOR WHEEL, BUT EITHER CHECKED OR UN-CHECKED THE “ENABLE COLOR SHADING” BOX HAS NO EFFECT ON THE OUT COME. AS THE PREVIOUS SCREENS STILL SHOW GREY FOR THE 2ND BLACK DRAWN SCREEN AND OR THE SAME COLOR 2ND SCREEN OF ANY COLOR FIRST SCREEN.

THIS IS VERY DISTURBING TO ME AS I COME FROM THE WORLD OF TRADITIONAL ANIMATION WHERE “RED” AND “GREEN” AND “BLUE” PENCIL ARE USED JUST AS MUCH AS “GRAPHITE”, IF NOT MORE!..HELP!

PaulieWalnuts

???

paulie
sorry, this is the only onion skin color control i know.
maybe try to mail support@toonboom.com or wait for mathieu or ugo to appear in the forum.
cheers,
rob

Paulie,
On the Mac: Under the menu item: Toon Boom Studio v3.0
you select preferences then you select the Light Table tab.

under Onion Skin you put a check in the Enable Color Shading box.

You set one color to red and one color to green (any two colors other than black or grey). Then you click on the OK button.

This feature works just fine and your previous and next drawings should be color shaded (red and green) as you set them up. If not we need more information to help you, such as what version of OSX are you running? What version of TBS are you running? What type of Mac are you using?

THANKS JK AND ROB,

BUT I’VE FOLLOWED THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS AND STILL THE SAME RESULTS. “PREVIOUS SCREENS” ALWAYS GO FROM THE DRAWN BLACK TO GREY OR FROM ANY COLOR TO THE SAME COLOR.

I HAVE A MAC OSX v. 10.3.9 and TBS v. 3.01

THANKS’
PaulieWalnuts

The only other suggestion I have left, is to check under preferences and see what renderer is selected on the display tab. Try changing this selection to a different choice like Quartz from OpenGL or vise versa. Then exit Toon Boom (close it completely) and restart the application. If that doesn’t resolve your issue, I suggest you contact support@toonboom.com because you have a conflict perhaps with your system or some setting on your system external to Toon Boom. I ran V3.0.1 on OSX 10.3.9 for at least six months without a problem and onionskinning worked as advertised. I’m now running V3.0.2 on OSX 10.4.6 and it also works beautifully. I’m sorry if I have not been able to help you more.-JK

JK
I JUST TRIED THE NEW SUGGESTION ABOUT THE “DISPLAY TAB”, THANKS, BUT THE RESULTS WERE THE SAME.
SO I GUESS I’LL NOTIFY support@toonboom.com .

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

PaulieWalnuts

Paulie,
Be sure to post a follow up here once you find the solution to your issue so that others can learn and benifit from your experience. Hope is turns out to be something easy to fix.-JK

@paulie
have you already tried to re-install the program? maybe your installation wasn’t clean enough?
rob

I have contacted TBS SUPPORT and they claim that this problem in v. 3 is a BUG and it is fixed in v. 3.5.

Below is their email in response to my inquiry.

==============================
Ugo Sansoucy ugo@toonboom.com
[Add to Address Book]
To:
io_dilillo io_dilillo@comcast.net
Cc:
techsupport@toonboomstudio.com
Subject:
Re: ONION SKIN > PREVIOUS DRAWING problem
Date:
September 18, 2006 12:19:40 PM CDT

Hi Paulie,

This problem is most likely due to the fact that you are currently
working in the Camera view. I have tested it and when you have checked
Enabled Color Shading in the Preferences, restarted the application and
then went to the drawing view all of the previous drawings were red
(with different shades) and all of the following drawings were green
(with different shades again).

The problem that you don’t see the colors in the camera view was a bug
that has been fixed in v3.5

Best regards,

Ugo

PaulieWalnuts wrote:
> TBS-SUPPORT,
>
> AFTER EXHAUSTING THE FORUM ON THIS PARTICULAR PROBLEM WITH NO APPARENT
> SOLUTION. I HAVE TURNED TO “TBS-SUPPORT.”
>
> THE COLORS OF “PREVIOUS DRAWINGS” IN THE “ONION SKIN” MENU DO NOT
> CHANGE COLORS, DIFFERENTIATING BETWEEN “TWEENS.” HOWEVER, WHEN BLACK
> IS USED ORIGINALLY, THE “PREVIOUS DRAWING” COLOR IS GREY.
>
> I HAVE BEEN TO " TOONBOOM > PREFERENCES > LIGHT-TABLE" AND THEN THE
> ONION SKIN HEADING APPEARED. THREE BOXES, THE FIRST, A CHECK BOX OF
> “ENABLE COLOR SHADING”, THE 2ND AND 3RD ARE RED AND GREEN BOXES
> REPRESENTING “PREVIOUS DRAWINGS” ONE AND TWO. YOU CAN ADJUST THE SHADE
> OF COLOR YOU WANT WITH THE POP-UP COLOR WHEEL, BUT EITHER CHECKED OR
> UN-CHECKED AND CLICK ON “OK”, THE “ENABLE COLOR SHADING” BOX HAS NO
> EFFECT ON THE OUT COME. AS THE “PREVIOUS DRAWINGS” STILL SHOW GREY FOR
> THE 2ND BLACK DRAWN SCREEN AND OR THE SAME COLOR 2ND SCREEN OF ANY
> COLOR FIRST SCREEN.
>
> THIS IS VERY DISTURBING TO ME AS I COME FROM THE WORLD OF TRADITIONAL
> ANIMATION WHERE “RED” AND “GREEN” AND “BLUE” PENCIL ARE USED JUST AS
> MUCH AS “GRAPHITE”, IF NOT MORE!.
>
> THANK YOU,
>
> PaulieWalnuts (log in name)
>
> Paul DiLillo MAC OSX v. 10.3.9 and TBS v. 3.01

so you are a $80 away from the fixing of your problem.
cheers,
rob

I am not sure why Ugo believes that the onion skin shading colors don’t work in V3 on the Mac in both Drawing and Camera views but they do work exactly as advertised. I have been using this feature all day today while animating in both views just fine on a G4 Mac with V3.0.2 on OSX 10.4.6 but it also worked previously with V3.0.1 on OSX 10.3.9. -JK

Hi guys,

This bug is only present if the option “Use Box Highlighting” is off in the preferences.

Paulie, to fix your problem just go to the Toon Boom Studio Menu => Preferences => Scene Planning, and check the this Box.

Cheers,

THANK YOU, ADMINISTRATOR!

IT WORKS! IT WORKS! IT WORKS!

and guys, thank you too!
PaulieWalnuts ;D

Hi Paulie,

Sorry for the little mistake it seem I had the same settings as you did (Mathieu pointed out the subtlety of the behavior only this morning). In any case it is working with both the box highlight checked and unchecked in v3.5.

Best regards,

Ugo

Thanks, HUGO!

PaulieWalnuts :slight_smile: