Blank Screen when importing

With both versions 3.0 and 4.5, I never got the SWF video imports to work.

Now I tried importing an avi file with version 4.5 and I get audio but a white screen for every frame. Doesn’t seem to matter what the opacity is set at there is still no picture. This machine has the correct codecs to play this video. What do I do now?

Hi,

By swf video do you mean an flv that is run inside an swf. If that is the case it won’t work for we don’t have any decoder for flv available yet. Concerning the avi import though have you tried opening that same Avi with Quicktime? It might be that the codec needs to be Quicktime compliant.

Regards,

Ugo

That’s not it. I’m talking about SWF, AVI, MPG, MOV. The only movie I’ve successfully imported was an SWF that I exported from TB.

With 3.0 obviously, it had to be SWF. But even 4.X fails mostly. These are movies that I can view on my computer so I have proper the codecs and everything (if that’s even an issue)

Anyone else run into this? Are there certain types of SWF movies that won’t normally work? Or is this an issue with me specifically?

So far, I just get the audio with no images but I’ll try a few more movies and report back.

Thanks.

I just tried a very short, very small AVI (around 45 frames / 100X200 pixels ) and it worked. I have a normal processor with 2 gigs ram and 1 gig video ram. Is there a severe limit to the size of the video?

I guess I’ll experiment. At least it works sometimes.

Hi,

The limit to how big an import can be is linked to the specs of your machine. Basically if your machine runs out of memory while doing the export it will start hanging and may end up crashing. You could play with the memory usage in the software and also increase the amount of virtual memory on your machine to help stabilize the process.

This being said if you get half the movie imported it might have something to do with codec used in the video. As for the swf import be aware that if the swf contain unsupported material such as actionscript or any new effect from Flash you may have the same behavior. As for the MPeg for the moment the supported MPG format is MPEG-01, for the Mov everything should be supported there as long as the machine allows it. How long were the movies you were trying to import originally?

Be aware that the import movie is actually creating an image sequence out of the movie which mean it will need to keep each frames of your movie in memory as long as you are working on that scene. Depending on how long the movie is this can get quite intense for your machine’s hardware.

Best regards,

Ugo

As sonobor wrote importing a movie results with blank screen. No matter how much I reduced resolution it import blank screen without sound, and forget about overloading CPU, size of the movie it is less than 210KB. Working from the time to time is not acceptable for any software, I understand for experimentig but this to much.

Hi,

The other possible cause of a blank file being imported is that the original project inside of Flash was using content that is not recognized inside of Toon Boom Studio. The SWF format has actually been a closed format since the release of Flash 6 so any special feature they might have implemented in there may not show properly in our software since we can’t read that data. A good thing to do to test if the file can be imported is to export from Flash in Legacy mode of Flash Player 6. If you see the content through the file you exported you should be able to see it inside of Toon Boom Studio.

Also, take note that video which have scripting in them may also be blocked from importing has we have no scripting decryption inside of Toon Boom Studio.

Finally, make sure that the swf is opened, there are flags that can be triggered upon exporting an swf that prevents them from being imported inside other application. Such options would most likely give you an empty movie upon import.

Best regards,

Ugo

I was trying with movie clips not flash. I know that there is another post regarding importing movie clips but all it says is to reduce reslution of the importing clip. Anyway it won’t be important soon when trial period pass.

Hi,

If you have some sample video with which the import issue can be reproduced it would be useful for us if you could provide them to us so we can test here to make sure it does work.

Best regards,

Ugo