Bitmaps not showing up in movie export

OK, got another problem (no solution to last one yet but it’s not proven to be a show stopper).

I’ve done a few animations with good results. However, I’m trying one now which features 2 large bitmaps as backgrounds. Everything looks great in the camera view and in render view but when I exported to movie I lost the second bitmap and just had my white colour card as a background (I use the colour card for a 10 second sequence where neither bitmap is on display). Removed the colour card just to test and exported again and this time the first bitmap was missing, too.

I’ve tried exporting the first 30 frames and the background still goes missing, even though every viewpoint suggests it will be there in the final render.

Any guidance on this one or do I need to provide more information?

Here’s an update on this:

I spent several hours last night trying to sort the problem out. I thought I’d got a solution when I re-imported the bitmaps and vectorised them. The rendered movie was playing fine and both bitmaps displayed but then 10 seconds from the end of the 70 second clip, the second bitmap just vanished leaving the characters on the white colour card again.

I’ve just tried the same thing again this morning and it’s worked fine with both bitmaps showing correctly throughout the movie. Fingers crossed this doesn’t happen again - I had restarted Animate last night but not the machine itself so I’m wondering if it’s a memory issue.

Getting really frustrated by this now. I’ve altered the scene and I’m getting the same errors again. So I decided to export it in 2 parts and join the MOVs together. Problem is, if I export at the halfway stage when no sound is playing, I end up with the sound completely out of sync as the movie seems to be playing the next sound immediately. I’m going to try rendering from the point when the sound does actually start playing but I’ve got to say these bugs are really starting to annoy me now as I feel I’m constantly fighting against the software in what is only a 2300 frame movie and haven’t received a single reply to any of my troubles so far in several days :-\

I think it is more nobody here shares your issues so can’t suggest any fixes. Unfortunatly the official tech support LillyV(everyone else is just users) isn’t around on weekend so her reply will be Monday earliest if she is actually in. You could email support directed but again you wouldn’t get a reply until Monday.

More information might be helpful…
What are the specifications of your bitmaps…? format…?, resolution…?, etc…
What are the specifications of your system…? RAM…? etc…
What are you exporting to…? QuickTime Movie…?, Codec / Resolution…?

It’s highly recommended to use sound for reference only, not for export…
Assemble footage and sound in your favorite Video-Editor…

What is your project-resolution…?
Are you saying your project is about 2300 frames long…?
Which version of Animate are you using…?

Regards
Nolan

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

The bitmaps are PNG 1600x1000
Project resolution is 853x480

I bought my system for the purpose of running Animate and it comfortably exceeds all the required specs, plus I’ve got a friend with Animate as well and he had the same export problems when I gave him the file to try.

I get the errors when exporting using various settings - H.264, MPEG4 and the Animate default setting in movie options. The sound is uncompressed.

There are lots of sounds in there but I don’t have much editing software other than QuickTime Pro to stick the movs together with. That’s really what I’m disappointed by, to be honest - this is the most outlay I’ve ever made for a piece of software so I didn’t expect bugs like the sound issues as I’m wanting to do as much as possible from the one piece of software. I’m not a professional, I’m just doing this in my spare time and I don’t have any training in animation or graphics, it’s just self taught.

I’m really happy with the results I’m getting and I will persevere - guess it’s just a learning curve but I’ll have to stick with smaller sizes and paste movs together. All the characters I’m using are png puppets so I’m thinking it’s just a case of too much content in there.

Hi Daneil,

I’ll do my best to help you here but just so that you know, if you want to get a quick answer to your questions, the best way is always to send an email directly to support, support@toonboom.com, that way if I’m not available another member of the team can help you out. In fact, I’m going to recommend that you email them now, because it might be helpful in this case to see your scene file, and I can’t do that through the forums. If you email them they can set up an FTP where you can upload your project so that we can take a look at it.

What are the file formats and compression settings on your audio files? This might help us to determine if there’s a problem with a specific type of audio. Also, once again, if you email support then we can try it out with your audio files specifically.

In terms of the backgrounds disappearing, there are a couple of things that I can think of. The first problem that can happen is if for whatever reason it can’t open that file (because of a read/write error) then it wouldn’t be able to render it. But in the case of imported images, it should copy those images into your scene folder with the correct read/write permissions, so I don’t think this is your problem.

The second problem is, as you have suggested, that it runs out of memory. If the computer doesn’t have enough memory left to process the information, it will simply stop.

There are several things that I can suggest to work around this. One, try to make your backgrounds only as large as they need to be. I.e., if you’re doing a background in photoshop, save a version of it that is as small as (or just slightly larger than) the scene settings. If you have a camera movement when there is a zoom, however, keep in mind that whatever PORTION of the drawing is zoomed in will have to be the size of the export.

If you are not able to save your background images as any smaller than they are now because of camera moves, then now is when you might want to think about rendering out an image sequence instead of a movie. You can then add on a your sound separately by importing your finished images back in as a single layer, then export it again as a movie with all your sound.

Hopefully some of this helps. If it doesn’t, feel free to email support@toonboom.com.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support