Bitmap layers and brushes - big black blocks?

Bitmap layers AND brushes suddenly not displaying or functioning properly in Storyboard Pro 5.5.1.
Image and brushes appear comprised of large black blocks.
It’s like I’m looking at graphics from a 1980’s Atari video game. (see attached)

Thumbnails all display the drawing properly and unaffected across multiple work spaces.
Vector layers are unaffected.
Turning bitmap layers into vector, however, doesn’t correct the problem.
Exporting the images to jpegs or photoshop files shows the drawings properly. They are not corrupted.

Interestingly, the problem disappears when I create a new file from scratch.
Bitmap layers and brushes function and display properly.
Opening the problematic file right after I create a new file FIXES the problem.
Images and brushes now display and function normally as they did before, but this is not a permanent fix.
Restarting the program and opening the problematic file first results in a return of the same problem.

Exporting my project file and viewing on a friend’s Cintiq Mobilestudio Pro 16 with the same specs running SBP 5.5 displays all the imagery properly from the get-go. This proves the file is not corrupt.

I did a refresh of Windows 10 and reinstalled STBP 5.5.1 from scratch. Same issue remains.

Here is my system specs:
Wacom Mobilestudio Pro 16 model: DTH-W1620
Wacom - Driver version: 6.3.29-6
Intel Core i7-6567U
16 GB Ram
512 GB capacity - 342 GB free of 475 GB
NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB GDDRS (graphics card)

I think there was someone with your same problem around there, said that, after an update, the system was using the integrated Intel card instead of the graphics card to render Toon Boom.

I have a same issue as well.

It happen happen to me literally 5 mins agos

Still have no clue what happen and how to fix it :open_mouth:

Have your checked if the issue is not the software not running with the Nvidia GPU but with the dedicated GPU? Check on Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings tab. Check if it’s listed on the drop-down and, if not, click Add and select the software.

Sorry for the late reply, I did not receive notification of anyone’s response.

Spoke with support. The issue was as described. For some reason, Windows 10 changed the graphics card choice when using storyboard pro. I’m posting the fix in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future:

From Toon Boom Support:

Open the Windows Start Menu

Enter “Nvidia control panel” into the Search field and run it
Select “Manage 3D Settings” from the option in the left-hand panel

Select the specific Toon Boom Program from the drop down list.

NOTE: If you do not see the specific program you want to launch, it may be necessary to uncheck ‘Show only programs found on this computer’ which will then populate the list with the desired options.

Select your NVidia graphics card under “preferred graphics processor” instead of the default “auto-select” (auto-select will use integrated graphics which can cause poor performance.)

I had this same issue, but couldn’t find any Toon Boom Programs on the drop down list (with or without ‘Show only programs found on this computer’ ticked). I read somewhere that you need a shortcut of the program on your desktop or start menu for the control panel to find it, but this didn’t work for me.

If you have the same issue here is one workaround I found.

• Open NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Go to Desktop drop down menu
  • Make sure “Add ‘Run with graphics processor’ to Context Menu” is ticked. If not, tick it.
  • When you start Storyboard Pro do it by right clicking on the shortcut. Then go to “Run with graphics processor” and choose “High performance NVIDIA processor”

Then SBP will open and work as expected. It’s a bit annoying to do this every time you want to open SBP, but a lot less annoying than having a black blob for a frame.

PS. Thanks Jordanwra for posting what the issue was and your solution!

Someone slap this on the toon boom homepage, please.

IT WORKED! Thanks!

For Windows 10, right-click on desktop screen to find the Nvidia Control Panel. Also, I clicked on “Add” on the program screen to find my Toon Boom program for the fix.