Bit confused when creating symbols

If a character is going to interact with a prop say a glass and I want that glass to be a symbol, where do I create the drawing? Within the layers of the character or on a level outside the character’s levels?
I’ve done both and have come across positioning issues.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Michael

This is a really all depends question.

If the character is just holding the glass the whole time, I would just draw a hand holding the water and sub it in (yeah I am lazy).

If it is like a glass being thrown between 2 character, attach the symbol/drawing to a peg and animate the peg.

What sort of positioning issues are you having?

Thanks James.
The character is actually holding the glass over a large number of frames then he eventually throws it away—as you do when you’re drunk—and it falls on the ground beside him and he picks up another glass.
I’ve realised the positioning issues come about only when I’ve drawn the symbol within the character’s layers. In my particular example this character was not created the correct way—by cutting up pieces of a drawn character on the stage—but via a group of symbols that I shrunk in size to fit the stage. I’m still in Flash-mode unfortunately…this is obviously why the positioning isn’t working…

Hi,

I would always draw the glass on a separated layer unless as previously mentioned, the character holds the prop for the whole scene.

When it is on a separated layer, you can use the Z nudging to pass it between the layers of the character. (Alt + Up Arrow or Alt + Down Arrow)

If you want the glass to follow the hand animation, I suggest you duplicate the layer containing your glass symbol. Parent one to the hand and the other one remains independent for when he will be throwing the glass away.

Simply remove the drawing exposure on the layer that is not in use and expose the drawing of the one in use.

Marie-Eve

Hi Marie,
Excellent advice yet again!
Thanks heaps,
Michael

I am really glad to help!

Marie-Eve

Hi Marie,

I just did this:

"If you want the glass to follow the hand animation, I suggest you duplicate the layer containing your glass symbol. Parent one to the hand and the other one remains independent for when he will be throwing the glass away.

Simply remove the drawing exposure on the layer that is not in use and expose the drawing of the one in use."

I’ve done this. However, when I parent it to the hand (actually I make it a child to the hand) by dragging the layer into the hand, it completely disappears from the stage! Even by hiding all other layers does not reveal it, even zooming out as much as possible can’t locate it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for that Lilly.

I just had a look and I can’t really see any major transformations that would affect the cocktail glass after parenting.

Here’s a screen shot of the data view if that can explain anything to you:

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc398/alligatocrawl/arm_data_view.jpg

Let me know if you spot something.

Thanks heaps!

Thanks for that Lilly. Will do.
Cheers,
Michael

Well when you parent it to the hand, it will inherit any transforms from the hand. From your description, I’m guessing that you had shrunk your hand after bringing it into the stage, since you had made symbols and then readjusted them. Your glass would then be shrunk by the same amount as the hand - so try zooming in maybe?

~Lilly

It’s kind of hard to debug this one without being able to see the scene file. I can’t see a problem from the screenshot. It might be something simple, but go ahead and email support@toonboom.com and they can set up an ftp to take a look at your scene if need be.

~Lilly