best way to make images, run cycle for example

Is it best to:

draw images on paper, import them through photoshop, and then into toon boom?

use a draw pad to draw them?

or use a mouse and just draw them into toon boom directly?

what have you found the best method?

Me, I find it much easier to just draw directly into the computer. Unless I really have too, I never scan pictures into the computer.

When you draw directly into the computer, i assume you mean mouse. Forgive my stupid question if I am wrong.

I find it very hard to draw with the mouse. Are there mice out there that are better for drawing? more stable? My lines, and circles go all over. And when i want to draw motion images using “previous drawing” as a guide, i can’t trace my lines well.

Is everyone re-drawing everything for every movement? If not, what are some short-cuts?

@lemoncade
it doesn’t matter what method others prefer. one must find his own one. and how can one know it’s the right one?
when one feels good using it :slight_smile:
try everything you can and, at the end of the day, make your personal review.
rob
p.s. my world are realistic drawings, i like this and i’m pretty good at it, i think :wink: … and i do them usually by hand, but for the animations i do them with a wacom tablet.
FORGET THE MOUSE !!!

When you use a tablet, can the image be seen on the tablet? When you choose to view last image to draw the next stage in a cycle, it is hard to retrace parts exact. does a tablet show the image so that tracing is easier?

wait, you are talking about a tablet pc.
i am talking about a wacom tablet with a plastic pen. you draw and you see the picture on the computer display.
and yes, you can switch the light bulb on and then you see the previuos and next drawing(s) in a different, dimmed color.
rob

Hi, Lemoncade-

The industry standard for graphic artists (animators and illustrators) who draw directly into their computer software are the Wacom tablets. I just checked and you can get a small one (4 inches by 5 inches) for $59.88 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C4DWX/104-4217882-4462305?v=glance&n=172282&_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

I’ve been using a 6x8 inch Wacom for several years now, but I’ve read articles by animators who prefer the smaller 4x5 inch model since it takes up even less room on their desktop.

As Rob said, it’s really a matter of preference whether to draw on paper, scan the images and import them into Toon Boom or draw directly into Toon Boom. I’ve been an illustrator for decades and I’m very used to drawing with pencil and doing my finished art with a pen and India ink. I use the Wacom Tablet/Stylus only to save time. It took me a fair amount of practice to be able to draw on the tablet, but I can do it fairly well now, especially with the helpful “Rotating Light Table” that Toon Boom features.

Yes, you can see what you are drawing as you draw it. It does save a LOT of time by using a tablet to draw directly mainly because it’s fairly hard to get used to drawing on the tablet which is usually lying next to your keyboard, while at the same time looking at your computer screen to see the line you’ve just drawn. Once you get familiar with that oddness, it can become quite natural and you’ll save two steps–scanning and importing those many images.

I’ve done animation both ways–hand drawn on paper with added watercolor and all done right in my computer using the Wacom.

I’ve never gotten the delicacy of line with the stylus on a tablet that I get with my Pelikan 120 fountain pen on watercolor paper, but it’s an okay substitute and you can get the images pumped out very quickly. Making changes is a breeze, too, since Toon Boom has an eraser tool.

I’ve found Toon Boom’s pen (called a brush) to be much better than the one in Macromedia’s Flash. TBS offers greater fine-tuning to create your own favorite flexible-line drawing tool.

I agree with Rob on this point as well:
FORGET the mouse!!! Much too clumsy in my view. The Wacom stylus pen fits in the hand just like a real pen and you can adjust the drawing angle and amount of pressure in the Wacom Preferences.

And you can use the Onion Skin feature in TBS to trace off your last image. In fact, you can show several layers of onion skin (tracing paper effect) to see how your drawn image looks in several stages of movement. You can set it to view the drawings above and below the one you are currently drawing.

Hope this helps clarify your concerns.

Best, Elwood

Hey, your hatman animation is awesome! i hope to be able to create something like that one day =)

Thanks, Lemoncade-

Hatman Seranade was the first animation I did using real animation software. It was done in Toon Boom and I used the Wacom setup. The animation is pretty stiff, but I learned a lot. The animator, Bill Plympton, who is an old friend of mine from my NYC days, saw HatMan and said he liked my art, designs and color, but added “…where’s the animation?” I know what he means.

Here’s a direct link to a more recent animation in the Toon Boom Showcase section which I did very quickly also using Toon Boom and my Wacom tablet:

http://www.toonboom.com/showcase/index.php?type=swf&id=elwood&Cartoon_Animations=&

Even Bill might approve of Monkeybone–it’s nice and short and it’s a lot more animated. I also did the music very quickly using Apple’s wonderful GarageBand. I’d just gotten the upgrade to the Mac version of Toon Boom Studio Version 3 and I had to give it a quick test so I decided to use the same Monkey I’d used for the hand-drawn animation on my site, Little Green Monkey.

Best, Elwood

Green monkey is cool but anyone out there like in the previous posts that want to learn the “tricks” should get Richard Williams book Animators Survival Kit.

Cheers
Rob

are you mr williams’ agent?
rob

lol rob (gester, not rawkin) well hes right, richard williams book IS a good starting point, so why not mention it :wink: