Being a noob sucks!

Here I am again with another award winning question.

I have a character all rigged, and on a peg. Ok so I have him talking, moving his arms, legs, ect. Now what if I wanted to switch to a closeup shot of his face? would I have to do that with the camera? Oh crap the camera that’s how … right? :stuck_out_tongue:

I was thinking of the way I did it in flash, which was transfrom/resize him up to fill the screen, but when you do that in Animate ALL the frames get resized.

if you set a keyframe on all the frames you editing 1 frame before the edit you can create a jump (so that it doesn’t affect all frames, just from that point to the end (or next keyframe if you have one)).

But yeah camera is the way. Just throw it on a peg and animate the peg (and use the same process i said above). Although im not sure if it was actually a question or you have it figured.

Thanks Raider. I Think I am just going to hold off on that for now cause I am trying to go chapter by Chapter in the user guide.

It’s the only way I am going to learn this thing, 1 thing at a time. I am up to the Animating your puppet chapter, although I think I am going to have to rewind to the assembling your puppet again. :’(

However, I have no clue as to what you mean by …

"set a keyframe on all the frames you editing 1 frame before the edit you can create a jump (so that it doesn’t affect all frames, just from that point to the end (or next keyframe if you have one))."

Sorry it’s not you it’s me, I know. I tried doing what you said to the best of my DIS-ability but I got the same thing.

On a good tip, I am starting to figure out how to get smoother more natural movements.

You know there is alot that those Quickstart videos don’t tell you. Some stuff you have to figure out yourself. which is both fun and frustrating.

Thanks again Raider you have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

I am going to try recreating these 2 clips in Animate … i did these in flash.

When you create an animation the frames appear in the timeline. Generally you start by extending the exposure to the length of your animation.

Lets say (just to be simple) you have a circle your moving around the screen. You use the animate transform tool for this. You have the animate mode selected and when your scrub to a frame and move you will notice a little square appear. This is a keyframe.

Now you can set those keyframes your self if you. If you click on a frame number and then press F6(i think if not it is F5 I don’t have animate on my laptop) So if you create a keyframe on a frame it effectively freezes the circle on that point as keyframes never change when you put another keyframe in (while the frames in between will be automatically calculated) so if you create a keyframe and more one more foward and create another you can create a jump in the animation.

This is the process you would go through for camera movements as well by the way.

Hope that makes more sense.

PS i shouldn’t of said “all” delete that word.

I plan to make some basic animate videos for youtube but i am figuring if i should ait for animate 2 coming out and if im going to upgrade( i would probably rather go to pro than 2).

Also when you resize use the animate transfom not the drawing transform tool. I have made that mistake more than once :slight_smile:

Well, I’ll be darned, that did it. How did you ever figure that out, I will never know. Thanks again!

Cannot wait for those UTube videos. They will be a gods send. I cannot believe no one else has done that yet, except for Cartoon smart, but he’s not an expert at it.

Yeah the cartoonsmart tutorials are okay. The flash ones are way better than the toonboom ones. I actually got a few of the flash ones when I started and “converted” them to toonboom workflow.

Basically I just looked everywhere, read the manual as well as just experimenting. I am still learning however.

If you stuck asking is always a good way to go cause it can be super frustrating and you feel like your doing the same thing over and over and getting nowhere when someone else can tell you and you just go “ooooo” (while thinking why on earth didn’t i think of that!)

I think it is really important just to get the basics down and be comfortable with the workflow. It is really important to get in and actually do it and not just read it.

When moving the camera personally I like to switch workspaces to the one where you have a number of views because it is easier to visualise when you can see the camera itself moving in my opinion(i think it is the compositing workspace I use for that).

I find using the function editor helps as well, because it allows you to position an object precisely along the X and Y axis using coordinates.

So in the case of a camera zoom, you could also shift the camera to the left(for example), then in the function editor add a keyframe where the X axis returns to ‘0’, and as such you end up with the same camera position as before the zoom.

another really good camera tip is that when you hide the camera layer you go back to standard view instead of camera view. So it is a really fast way to flick between the 2.

Hi Alex,

If you’re looking for some video tutorials, you can check out the Kickstart Videos that are available from the eLearning section of the website - these might help you out.

http://www.toonboom.com/products/animate/eLearning/

You can also download the sample material and use it to play around with.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

Thanks guys for the Tips, they are very much appreciated. Lilly Believe me I have seen those Kick start Videos about million times and always work with them right next to me on my laptop for reference.

I am gettting somewhere though, starting to feel more comfortable with the program. I have been getting much better as I move along thanks to you.

Raider thanks I have a folder on my drive with all your tips, TheRaider folder lol.

you made me lol so hard reading that ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

@lillyV everyone knows about the kickstart videos but although they are great (i really like them) there is still a need for signifcantly more IMO

The quickstart videos double as advertising for the product (which isn’t a bad thing). However there is a real need for more in depth looks at the tools for people who want to go a bit deeper. Like honestly even just the pain bucket tool you could do a 30 minute video on there is so much you can do!

I guess you tried to fix this by doing the deal(I might be wrong here and there wasn’t a deal but it sure seemed like there was) with cartoonsmart however IMO (nothing against him he makes good videos) the lack of output of toonboom videos really makes him useless as a good source of toonboom learning

That is why I hope at some stage to make some and share my experiences. However I wouldn’t complain if toonboom did it instead of me :stuck_out_tongue:

The kickstart videos aren’t really helpful for me, too.

What helped me a lot to understand how Animate works were the Toon Boom Animate Tutorials from CartoonSmart:
http://www.cartoonsmart.com/toon_boom_index.html

yeah it is a real shame he is so busy with the flash and iphone tutorials he doesn’t really make many. He featured my book of the dead video made in toonboom in latest blog post!

Anyway all this talk of people wanting to see videos has made me deciede to give it a go and get some feedback.

I am going to do a basic one on making full use of the colour tools in animate. Basically just a make a simple scene with some green hills/sky/sun and then use the tools to make the scene totally different (desert, sunset, etc). I decieded against doing a drawing one because if I keep doing them everyone will be 100% from scratch, everything done on screen (except assets made in previous tutorials they can be imported since you can watch the other tutorial) so you will see plenty of drawing along the way. Then I will have a simple background to build on for other tutorials. No idea how long it will be yet but I have drawn it (so now i have to redraw while recording).

Do it please. Hopefully since there is a BG involved we will see some Multiplane action. woohooo!

I am doing.

Wasn’t going to do multiplane, but since I set the scene up for multiplane I will do that.

It is a very simple background more demonstrating techniques.

Just 3 hills and a sky. However I will add a road going over the hills for the multiplane part cause it will be much easier to see the effect.