BarSheetTimer with metronome

I have seen there are some discussions around stopwatch, x-sheet, timeline and timing in general.
That caused me to be stricken by an idea of bringing the old bar sheet back to life in new clothes.
I posted it as a feature request but couldn’t leave it there.
New ideas just poured in.
The thing became more simplified and in fact it is now more a do it your self package.
So it belongs in this forum now , until eventually there is a more general interest for it as a new feature with more streamlined functionality.

Just posted a video that shows how it works for the moment.

http://vimeo.com/33029293

Would be happy to get reactions and opinions on the functionality.
Ideas on how to develop it are more then welcome.

Best regards
Ivar

ivaar – this is really terrific. I am in the planning stage of a project that involves synching animation to music, and I’ve been wishing there was a tool to add some musical notations to the timeline (melody and accompaniment, as well as precisely timed lyrics for lip-sync). How would you feel about sharing the barsheet templates that you’ve developed?

-Jon

Hi again
Here is a new version with a more precise bar sheet with markers for each frame. Thanks to Zeb who just posted one. After a tour in illustrator and some
mounting and scaling in TB Animate Pro.
Here a small video that shows it.

http://vimeo.com/33046245

Thanks again Zeb with your precise bars in there this starts to look nice.

Best regards

Ivar

Hi Jon

You are welcome to use of course.
For the moment I don’t know how to export template files. But postet a request for it on the forum. But as you saw on the video you can make it your self.

Just draw the barsheet in the drawing view, I used the 12 grid. One bar for every 12 ( that makes two bars across the grid )
Pose the grid in the drawing view starting from center. now calculate the number of frames to the amount of bars. Set it as the total amount of frames for the project. Draw the player head on a separate layer with cursor at centerline. Now attach the bar sheet drawing to a peg in the timeline(or use a drawing element as a peg) Prolong the exposure of the bar sheet to the last frame.
Go to the camera view Turn of animation. Go to firs frame and set keyframe with the move tool selected now go to the last frame and move (not scale!)
the whole bar sheet so the last bar is in the center of the playhead( or same place as first bar in first frame) Now play and see if it works.

From here I point to the video I made. There you see how to arrange the layers.

The metronome is a recorded sound file.

Best regards

Ivar

Hi Ivar,
Thanks! I will make a barsheet using your method, and substituting the tempo used for my project. I really appreciate all the effort you’ve put into this, it’s very helpful.

Let us know if you do succeed in importing notation from Sibelius (or even midi information)!

Best,
Jon

Hi again

Have been looking for smart work arounds when it comes to music notation.
1.Do you know a program called Reflow. Just looked it up in App store.
It looks very basic but claims to have a full vector export to PDF for further work in Illustrator.
2. I have no experience with musicXML. Do you know if any of the common
videoediting softwares import it.

Just found out how to turnTB Animate Pro files to zip files that can be attached to email, and it works.
Thanks to forum user Chrispurdin

http://www.toonboom.com/support/forums/animate/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=3524

-Ivar

Hi Jon
Here is a link to a page were you can download a zip file containing the Animate Pro file.

This is the first time a try to post something like this.
It function when I try it. But of course I can’t guarantee that it will work.
I am on a mac and would expect that to be essential when it comes to compatibility and would’t recommend to try it on windows.

http://web.me.com/ivaar/Ivar_Sjaastad/Ivars_ZebSheet.html

I also tried to link a video to the page but it hasn’t linked up.

Best regards

Ivar

Hi again

Found just now a solution for writing music notation inside TB Animate Pro.
The text tool has in fact a font called maestro. On the Finale website There is a description in the userguides for which keys to use The sheet is enormous so I only paste the most important part here:

http://www.finalemusic.com/UserManuals/SongWriter2010Mac/Content/image995.gif

For the very serious user they will have to find the instructions on the finale website.

By “writing” one horizontal line at the time and place it in a staff it is possible to write music notation directly in TB - software.
And possibly also a lot of smarter ways with a little experimentation.
Making one section at a time it will probably be easier to make corrections afterwards.
This possibility also applies to TB-studio that is of course less advanced for drawing tools and effects, but maybe stronger when it comes to scene length ? Or ?

Have tried to find an musicxml to xml-“rountrip”. I have a trial of Adobe master collection for the moment. But of all things Encore will not run in demomode, so that route is closed for me.
A graphic supported PDF
to import notation in timeline-like look could also be a good solution but have not succeeded yet.
Most exports seems to have a variated distance between bars which will not fit this bar-sheet-timer.

Best regards
Ivar

Ivar,
Thanks! I will try it when I get the chance.
Meanwhile, thanks very much for posting the link for the Animate Pro barsheet templates. I have found this whole discussion extremely valuable.
Much appreciated!

-Jon

Just wanted to update this BarSheetTimer thread.

I have worked a little more with the thing, and tried it out on different tasks.
The music notation has been a struggle and is not yet solved. For the moment I am importing it as (vectorized with color) PSD file and cut/scale/placed it in the barSheet.
The timer shows now also Frames and seconds and has a “framewatch” that intensifies the feeling of orientation while scrolling. The first timer was made in bits and pieces while I was working on different projects, with the result that it had a whole bunch of pallets. Now the timer has its own palette and is more easy to adjust to fit the scene. If anyone is interested I will try to post a new template zip file.

Here is a link to a video showing the timer at the moment:

http://vimeo.com/34575057

Working with this thing have made me realize with what fantastic precision TB Animate Pro perform. The Peg( a drawing element) dragging the barsheet is working exactly on the frame all the way.Thanks again to Zeb for his barsheet drawing. For now Most of the features is easy to make but music notation import is a challenge.

I hope to end this thread sometime this spring by posting the barSheetTimer back as a feature request.
The vision is a feature that will simplify timing, breakdown and planning of dialogue, music and soundeffects, in and out points, action curves and annotation of any kind. Then seamlessly start to drawi and animate on top of it in the same window.
If anyone have ideas for features or how to improve it please tell.

Best regards

Ivar