Avoid upgrading Quicktime to 7.3.1 or above

Ugo,

Apple has just released the Quicktime 7.4.5 update. Does this help with TBS Quick Preview at all or is a rewrite of TBS’s rendering engine still going to be necessary? I ask because I’ve been avoiding the QT upgrade solely because of TBS Quick Preview but I’m getting a little concerned now about the fact that the recent QT updates have been security patches.

Also, I’ve tried Preview Scene, Preview Movie, and Preview Exposure Sheet and the image quality is inferior to Quick Preview on my Intel iMac, oddly enough, and I don’t consider them acceptable replacements for Quick Preview. Are there some preference settings that I’m not seeing?

Ron

long rotted until it found a solution. You can use ANY quicktime version. you just need to specify in the settings quicktime - Safe Mode. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I use 7.4.5 :wink:
-----------
P.S. Unfortunately I trial version toon boom :’(

Hi,

I use Quicktime 7.4.5 too (upgraded to Pro). But can’t find any “Safe Mode” in the Qicktime preferences or anywhere else. Where did you change this?

Thank you,
Peter

I am Russian user. therefore, do not know exactly how this can be written in the English version quicktime.
open the Quicktime player
2. click on the Edit->Preferences->Quicktime Preferences menu option
3. select the Advanced Tab
4. check the option - safe mode (only GDI)

Quicktime 7.4.5 upgrade
will not give the quick preview in TBS

jimmyd13,

Thank you for that update. Are you on pc or Mac?

Autlaw,

After some Googling, I’m guessing that the QT Safe Mode is only available on the pc version. I have QT Pro on my Intel iMac and no such option exists in QT Player or System Preferences/Quicktime.

Also, I might add that I’ve read elsewhere that the recent QT updates have caused problems with other applications too. Some feel that this may have something to do with DRM (Digital Rights Management) utilized as an anti-piracy effort.

Ron

Hi Ron
i’m on a Mac G5
I’ve not run into any other issues concerning QT
with any of my other Apps.
Finale cut, Hash, DVD Pro, Digital Performer

Though the quick preview is cool
i do find it just as fast and more reliable ( as far as audio sync )
just to do a low output render
so i don’t miss that feature too much

j

j

Hi,

Check on PC and Mac and so far the Safe mode did not seem to change much so for the moment I would still advice to avoid upgrading Quicktime to avoid losing the Quick Preview (unless you really need it).

Regards,

Ugo

Thanks jimmyd & Ugo. I will not be updating my Quicktime.

Ron

any updates for a solution for mac users? the preview scene does work but it’s very slow. has any mac user been able to uninstall quicktime and re-install an earlier version and get it to work?

Hi,

You might want to try doing an export to swf of the specific scene and look at what you get. It may actually be fast then the preview scene.

Regards,

Ugo

Wow, that’s some solution you got there. You guys have been aware of this problem for at least 2 months, and you can’t figure out anything better than that?

Hi Ugo!

Just checking… any good news if something will happen with the Qtime version before the summer?

Best!
/Marq

Hi Marq,

At the moment I did not get further information about this issue. I think we were suppose to meet with Apple representative to discuss this.

Regards,

Ugo

Hi Ugo!

Im not surprised if Apple are trying to delay things like this as long as it can goes. I suppose you just have to be more headstong and explain for them that this just have to work.

All best
/Marq

I havent been able to get this to work. Is this under File>Export? When I did that I was unable to select a single scene and get it to work properly.

I found links for earlier Quicktime versions but haven’t been able to succesfully uninstall the 7.4.5 so therefore can’t install the earlier version.

Any updates? I really feel there should have been more warning than a post on the forum - very insufficient. Information that could prevent a major function from being shut down should have been emailed multiple times to make sure loyal users wouldn’t have to go through this headache.

Hi,

Are you having issues exporting?

We are deeply sorry that we did not warn customer more directly concerning this. We did not know whether or not it would stay like that on Apple’s side (and still have not confirmed) so could not really take action early on.

I will try to get some more information about that but can’t guarantee much.

Regards,

Ugo

after a long night of web-surfing on this topic i found something a little promising. with the free shareware Pacifist (available at http://www.charlessoft.com/) i was able to download QT 7.2 to my mac. I tried re-deleting my WT 7.4.5 files but unfortunately I still couldn’t get the quick preview to work yet. i plan to experiment more tonight but maybe somebody out there might have an idea as to how we could get this to work?

description of pacifist: Pacifist 2.5.2 is a shareware application that opens Mac OS X .pkg package files, .dmg disk images, and .zip, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, and .xar file archives and allows you to extract individual files and folders out of them. This is useful, for instance, if an application which is installed by the operating system becomes damaged and needs to be reinstalled without the hassle of reinstalling all of Mac OS X. Pacifist is also able to verify existing installations and find missing or altered files*, and Pacifist can also examine the kernel extensions installed in your system to let you see what installer installed them, and whether the installer was made by Apple or a third-party.

my moment of optimism has passed. it didn’t work. :’(

help us toon boom kenobi, you’re our only hope. please?

Hi,

Are your issue with the Quick Preview or every possible export you are doing?

What you are experiencing may be completely unrelated to the Quick Preview issue so make sure to define exactly what you are experiencing.

Best regards,

Ugo