Avoid upgrading Quicktime to 7.3.1 or above

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you a quick notice about not installing the latest update of the Quicktime player (7.3.1) on either Mac or Windows if you are to run Toon Boom Studio. They seem to have completely disabled the reading of Flash tracks in the latest version which cause the Quick Preview (Return key) not to work anymore.

We are looking into an alternative way of getting the thing done but in the meantime if you can avoid updating I would strongly advise to do it.

Regards,

Ugo

Thanks, Ugo. I was just about to update but I will hold off for now.

Ron

Oh sh…, i hav updated. :-[

Hi Jollyjo,

Well the issue is not critical to the point the application is not working. Anything you do in the software will be fine it is just related to the Quick Preview. In any case you might want to uninstall it and roll back to an older version if you rely a lot on the Quick Preview feature.

Regards,

Ugo

thanks for that i was just about to put a comment up asking why it was not working ;D

So will this problem be fixed by toonboom or will we just have to wait till the next quicktime to come out? Cuz i already downloaded it.

Hi,

We are looking for an alternative way of doing preview but this involves creating a whole new engine so I can’t say yet when this will be ready.

Quicktime seems to be limiting their export feature more and more lately (they removed a bunch of AVI codecs lately so don’t be surprised if you can no longer get the ones you use to).

We will be making some tickets on our side to see if Apple can do something about it. Hopefully this will be fixed with a Quicktime update but we can’t guarantee it will.

Sorry for the bad new, for Window you could always get an older version of Quicktime (try http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=quicktime they have 7.1.5 there which works quite well) but for Mac we have not yet been able to get an older version, maybe if you contact Apple directly you could have access to it.

Best regards,

Ugo

I don’t use Mac but for the benefit for those who do, will 7.16 work properly?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime716formac.html

I had the problem with 7.41 and now I uninstalled that and installed 7.15 but I am still getting the same problem (it crashes when I try to preveiw)
any ideas?
???

Hi,

What is the exact error message you are getting? The flash tracks could be triggered on in previous versions using the following method:

http://www.toonboom.com/support/tbs/kb/questions/32/Quick-Preview-is-not-working-anymore-or-render-does-not-preview-after-being-finished

Best regards,

Ugo

First of all in Quicktime that option was not ticked so I ticked that and tried again but it didn’t work, it came up with the message “An unhandled win32 exception occured in TBS.exe[5116]” and then something about Just in time debugging

Hi,

If you are on Vista or a 64 bits OS you might need to find an even newer version of Quicktime (7.2.x to 7.3.0 is good, anything after that won’t work).

Regards,

Ugo

I’m on XP 32-bit lol
should I try getting a slightly later version anyway?

Could this be anything to do with this “Archive install” thing? I don’t know what that means but I saw people saying you had to do one to install a previous version.

Hi,

I am running 7.1.5 on my XP machine after uninstalling 7.4.0 and did not have any such errors. Make sure to completely uninstall Quicktime then reboot your machine and install the older version.

If after installing the old version then setting the Flash playback you still get the same issue you might would it be possible to know if the error is when you do Quick Preview or as soon as you launch the software.

Best regards,

Ugo

I only get the error when quickpreveiwing.
I use the feature quite a lot so it would be good if I could get a workaround or at least know when you think you will be able to resolve the issue

Hi,

Would it be possible to send a screenshot of your Quicktime preference window in which you have the enable flash track triggered (there might be other settings there that differ). You can send the file at techsupport@toonboom.com.

For the fix itself we cannot say yet when it is going to be ready since we need to make a new engine to point out to some other application.

Best regards,

Ugo

Has there been any headway made in rectifying this (Quick Preview issue)? We actually use ToonBoom Studio 4 as our primary animation tool at www.storycove.com. Without the Quick Preview option our workflow is almost at a standstill. No other solutions we’ve tried have worked. We eagerly await some type of fix. Please let me know when a solution will be instituted.
thanks,
Baird Hoffmire

Hi,

Did you try the preview scene function? We do not yet know when the fix will be ready since it requires to rewrite the rendering function of Toon Boom Studio and develop a new engine so in the meantime for Mac users the best option is most likely to use Preview Scene and Preview Movie.

Those are more accurate then Quick Preview too so it might be better of to use those to test sync.

Best regards,

Ugo

Yeah, forgot about Preview Scene. It works for the time being, but it’s still quite slow and really messes with workflow when you are attempting minor tweaks or want to test simple walk cycles,etc. Preview Movie is just way to time consuming (our movies average between 4 and 7 minutes). Goes to show how we took that feature for granted.
Anyway, we can make do with Preview Scene until you guy’s get this sorted out. Thanks for the quick reply.
Baird