Automatic organisation of nodes

I’d really like to see Harmony have a more intelligent placement of nodes, since I’m having to arrange them constantly. Why does every new node need to be placed right in the centre of the node view? It makes more sense to me that a new node would be proximately placed near the other sibling nodes.

There are two icons on the Node View toolbar that arrange your nodes.
Order Network Up and Order NetWork Down. It’s a very basic auto-arrange
as anything complicated would require the computer to “understand” the
context (for example in a character rig with deformation nodes…).

To use it, put the mouse focus in the Node View window and hit Ctrl+A to
select all then click either order network button.

Hi,

I think that it would already be a big help if the new nodes were placed at the center of the displayed zone of the Node View instead of at its physical center (which may be out of screen).

It normally already is, unless you previously moved the
nodes to an area outside the default location.

Hi Ron,

hm, I just checked this again.

I zoomed and panned to a place in the node view where everything is out of the displayed area and added a new peg.

The peg was created out of the displayed are as well (at the center of the node view).

What I suggested was that the new nodes would be created at the center of the area the user is seeing in his node view.

This is what happens in Harmony Premium 12.1.1

New nodes do not appear at world (?) center when that area is outside the display area.

Wherever I zoom/focus with the Navigator the new node appears slightly up and right of center of the Node View window.

How are you adding your nodes?

To be certain I understand what you are describing, this is what I did:

1. I have one complex node structure.
  2. Drag one node off to an isolated area. (it remains connected to the system of course)
  3. Zoom in so it is the only node you can see.
  4. Move the cursor to an area within the zoomed Node View window.
  5. Right-Click and choose Insert.
  6. Choose a node to be added.
  7. The new node appears slightly up and right of center of the displayed Node View window area.

Do you receive different results following these steps as described?

Hi,

o0Ampy0o you’re right.
By following your steps I get the same result like you. When I want to insert a peg I Right-Click and choose ‘Insert’-> ‘Move’-> ‘Peg’ the new peg is placed slightly up and right of center of the displayed Node View window area. Thank you for pointing this out.

But, the way I usually add pegs and drawings to the Node View is either:

1. via the ‘Add Peg’ Button of the top left default menu of the timeline
    or
  2. via Harmony’s top menu entry ‘Insert’-> ‘Peg’.

Both methods will place the nodes at the center of the node view, which may be out of the display area.

I just discovered that the keyboard shortcuts CTRL+P (to add a peg) and CTRL+R (to add a drawing) will place the nodes directly underneath the mouse cursor in the active Node View.
That’s a good thing to keep in mind.

So, there are 4 ways to add new nodes to the Node View (besides the 5th one which is dragging the nodes from the Node Library).

2 creating them within the displayed area, but in two distinctive ways:

• via keyboard shortcuts
  • via Right-Click in the Node View and choose ‘Insert’-> submenu-> the node you want to add

and

2 placing them at the center of the Node View which may be out of the displayed area:

• via the ‘Add Peg’ Button of the top left default menu of the timeline
  • via Harmony’s top menu entry ‘Insert’-> the node you want to add.

The problem that I’m facing is that it seems that no matter how neat I arrange my node view, new nodes are placed on top of each other, normally right in the centre. This creates a situation where I’m constantly having to micromanage my node view for simple arrangements.

Please see this image below:

http://imgur.com/a/fdXTt

If I create a new drawing between Drawing_5 and Drawing_6 on the timeline, is it a lot to ask that the new drawing will be placed near to those in the node view?

If you use the keyboard shortcut ‘CTRL+R’ the new drawing will be created exactly underneath the tip of your mouse cursor.
That way you’ll have full control over where your drawing will be placed.

Does this help?

Is that a feature of Harmony 14? Because I’m using 12.2. A feature like that will be a big help for me when it comes time to upgrade.

I do still place a lot of drawings via the timeline view though, so any tool that makes my life easier moving nodes around automatically is always going to be a big help!