Audio Trimming Issue

I would really appreciate some help concerning an audio clip situation.
I’m using Toon Boom Studio. When importing mp3s containing the voices of the characters, I am able to use “edit sound” to trim the clip to the appropriate length and use auto lip synch successfully. However, when I save the file, close the program and later reopen it, the audio clips have changed. Sometimes they’re extended beyond the isolated trimmed portion of the clip I want to use, other times, the clip is reduced to just one frame’s worth of audio. I’m clueless as to why this is happening as I’m saving it when it’s exactly how I want it, but when I close and reopen, it’s different. It’s boggling my mind. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this issue?

Hmmm… haven’t encountered such problems yet… still using Studio 5…
But, I never use the Sound Element Editor for cutting my sound-file…
Either, I am using and external sound-editor (Amadeus Pro / Audacity etc.)…
Or, delete part of the sound-file and move it into place directly in the Timeline…

Otherwise, I would recommend using either AIF or WAV instead of MP3…

If you still have such problems, please contact the Toon Boom Team:
support@toonboom.com

Thank you so much for responding. The main reason I’m using the features that the Sound Element Editor has is because, for example in this case the video I’m working on has about 40 lines (back and forth between characters). It seems like it would be awful tedious to have to trim and render forty sound clips in an outside audio software, just for one project. If there’s a method of doing this easily, I’d do it, since that’s more or less what I’m doing in Toon Boom’s Sound Editor in the first place. (I have Audacity and FL Studio).
To clarify, the Sound Editor trimming tool does exactly what I want it to do, but then if I save the project and exit and return to it later, the sound clips I edited are messed up in their duration.
I will try using WAV format for what I’m doing and see if the issue happens or not. I’ll report back! Thanks again!

Alright, I tried using a WAV and I’m having the same issue. However, I can describe the problem more specifically now. When I establish a sound element, I drag the green and yellow markers to establish the “Start Frame” and the “Stop Frame.” Let’s say the Start Frame is 40 and the End Frame is 90. Everything looks and sounds great.
Then I save and quit but when I return, the End Frame has been changed to, say, 270 (the full duration of the clip.) So now the clip’s much longer, including parts after the desired part so it’s way longer than I want.
Or, In a couple of instances it lowers the End Frame to perhaps 41, meaning now the sound clip only occupies one frame in total.
Any Idea why I am saving it one way and it is reloading differently upon re-opening the program?

No idea really what’s going on here…?
Did a few trimming-tests with some AIF-files using the Sound Element Editor…
Changing / Saving / Quitting / Restarting a few times… No problems at all…
Every sound-files appears the same as I saved it…

Did you try and trimmed (deleted parts of it) directly in the timeline…?
Does it get mixed-up as well after saving…?

Thank you for trying it out in your Toon Boom, nolanscott. I have been using the Sound Element Editor and trimming directly in the timeline. When you say trimming directly in the timeline, I’m assuming you mean highlight the parts I want to delete and then delete them. In both cases, I get the result I want but then when I save, exit and reopen it’s messed up. Either the sound clip is trimmed down to a few frames worth of audio, or it is super long.

Since my last post, I discovered that Audacity has a method of taking a long audio file, and you can designate sections, and then “Export Multiple” so that each line will be exported as a seperate file. That way I won’t have to even trim anything off these sound files. Despite this, I am still having the save/quit/reload problem, as the sound clips are getting involuntarily trimmed down to a few frames worth of audio.

What a strange behaviour…
I guess you might have to contact the “Toon Boom Team”…

In the meantime you might like and delete the Toon Boom Studio Preference Files…
Or reinstall the whole Software package again…

Not sure if one can blame any of your sound-files…?
If you can, you might like and provide a download-link…?
I will be happy to run one of those on my system… just to see what happens…

Regards
Nolan

I don’t think it’s the audio files themselves, because I tried many different files from different sources- some I made some I acquired from elsewhere.
I contacted the Toon Boom support email. I guess I can try Reinstalling, in the meantime.
If I reinstall, will I be able to keep the projects I have began so far? Many hours of work already on them, so obviously I don’t want to have to start from scratch again.

As long as you keep your projects separately stored somewhere on your hard-drive
and not in the Toon Boom Studio-Application-folder…?
Reinstalling the software won’t affect any of your projects…

Have you already tried and deleted the Preference Files before reinstalling…?

What does it mean, to delete the preference files?
Is that something I can find by searching thru the C drive?
A folder called Preferences and I should delete everything inside?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/where-are-application-preference-files-stored/88758660-3a1b-4a99-bc5c-4d0c1ed8e4b0

Is the thing I want to delete named “global.tbc”?
It’s the only thing in that folder that the preference window says the “global library” should be.

As far as I know the “Global.tbc”-file belongs to the Toon Boom Studio Global Library Folder… I would recommend not to touch that one…

The Preference-Files should be called something like “com.toonboomstudio.plist” or .prefs etc… and be located in your Preference Folder somewhere on your hard-drive…

quote:
“For windows, there are hidden folders in the path that you need to enable show hidden files/folders. In that path, there is a folder called full-xxx-pref (where xxx is the version of software). Back it up by rename the folder or rename the whole folder or copy and paste to a new machine. Once you have renamed or deleted the preferences folder, Reopen Studio and it will create a new preferences file.”
quote ends: