Anyone considering Surface pro 4, or Surface book for using SBpro on the go?

Screen Real estate might be too small for a good workflow… but I’m very keen to give it a try.
If anyone has, would be ace to hear about it! Surface book won’t be released in the UK until sometime 2016 (March/April)

Well i just tried out storyboard pro and harmony on my surface pro 4. sadly in harmony the resolution is really to small and in storyboard pro (not storyboard pro 4) there is no pen pressure and some laggggg when drawing.

Somehow everything works well now I haven’t done anything since I last tried out storyboard pro. Hopefully I stayed working as it is.

I am planning to buy Surface 3 pro or 4 pro for christmas too :wink:

I used SBP on a 4GB/64GB SSD i5 first-gen Surface Pro and found it to be functional, especially with the right column of the default Drawing Workspace collapsed.
The only issue I had was with pen lag. Considering that the SP4/SB substantially improves on the first-generation SP in every metric, particularly screen resolution and stylus latency, I would expect the SBP user experience to be quite good.

I was also able to run Harmony on that old device without any performance issues. However, I find screen space is more of an issue with Harmony than SBP because of all the panels. Consequently, I set the display size to the smallest option in order to squeeze the most pixels on the desktop. The trade off was the icons and text were too tiny to work with for more than a few minutes before eye strain set in.

Hello, I’m new here and I’m currently looking for an affordable desktop that meets those hardware requirements of the current Storybook Pro. Hope you don’t mind me asking this question in this thread on Surface Book, but on Toon Booms Storybook system requirements page https://www.toonboom.com/products/storyboardpro/tech-specs, for Windows it
states “NVIDIA® fully supporting OpenGL with 128 MB RAM”. I found an affordable quad core desktop with an integrated AMD Radeon HD 7560D installed on it. To use a comparison: In terms of overall gaming performance, the graphical capabilities of the AMD Radeon HD 7560D are significantly better than the Nvidia GeForce GT 610. Source: http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1073&gid2=935&compare=radeon-hd-7560d-vs-geforce-gt-610
So my question is, will Storybook Pro operate correctly if I choose to go with a computer that has an AMD video card on it as opposed to a NVIDIA one? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

I got an answer to my questions in my previous post so it’s not necessary for anyone here to comment on it.
As for Surface Book, now that’s one I would love to have and will be looking into it soon!

i have a SP2, and as most say in here the biggest downside is screen realestate. I recently goofed around with the SP3, 4 as well as the Book in a MS store and I was very impressed by how far they took the device in 2 generations. I’ve also hooked my SP2 up to a 24HD cintiq on location and was surprised how well it worked. Harmony can better than expected on it, but obviously not what on par to a desktop with a dedicated GPU.

i give the SPro 4 and the Book (if you’ve got the cash) thumbs up. Great devices.

The only problem with the surface systems is the icons being too small but i think there is a fix for this and that’s the only problem you would have with the device. I’m told even if you change the resolution on the device they still look too small.

I don’t know about story board pro, but I have a Surface Pro 3 with Harmony 12, and the lack of support for hi-rez screen make the interface so small, it’s hard to see if you want to make something more complex.

I’m planning purchase a surface pro 3 or 4 for working with harmony, I have a fried that got the surface pro 4 and I asked him to test out toon boom’s software sometime so I will let you know if he does. Tho it will be best if support can let us know how the toonboom products run on those surface devices.

I have a surface book and the performance is awesome. You don’t need wacom attachments anymore. You have 1024 levels of sensitivity with the pen and the screen is great, however Toonboom, Microsoft, etc need to fix the applications not being able to display well over 1920 x 1200.
You can get great real estate and the icons are great in Toonboom products, but the lettering can be terrible after you cross that resolution. You can set MS Clear Type, you can set the font sizes, but it’s not going to help. You will get a lot of black, blank screen between the top of the Microsoft desktop, and the actual screen itself, at wider/higher resolutions. So as you play with resolution, you lose real estate. I’ve been dealing at 2560 x 1900 if I’m just drawing.

What about a laptop tablet like the Acer Switch Alpha 12?

It looks really good but there is not NVIDIA graphic card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-tHNctshTU

I have a surface pro 4 and it doesn’t seem to work with My Toon Boom. It gets real laggy and crashes anytime I try to use the Camera Tool.

It might be a various number of issues, Toon Boom not working on Win10, my Storyboard Pro 4.2 version not working on a Win10, or it might be the graphics card of my SP4, not getting the correct drivers… who knows… help is almost nonexistent. It seems that Microsoft can always blame Toon Boom and vice versa.

I have a SP1 and it works perfect with Toon Boom, and Photoshop… no problems. Although I had to go through some headache to get the right drivers for it to work.

I say bite the bullet and get the Wacom Companion, I never hear complaints from my friends that have it.

It might cost more… but it will be less of a headache for you to make things to run smooth.

The SP1 had a built-in Wacom digitizer - that is the reason why it works so well. Wacom support!

The SP4 (and 2/3) model uses the N-trig pen, which is also used in similar laptops from Dell, Acer, Hp, etc.). The trouble is that this may cause issues in other software, because it is definitely not Wacom compatible. This is not Microsoft’s fault, really. The software must be adapted to work properly with the N-trig and Windows Ink.

Proof? https://krita.org/en/item/krita-3-3-0/

Krita users encountered the same problems - the latest release introduces native support for the N-trig.

Try Krita 3.3.0 on your Surface Pro 4 to test (free and open source). Krita also includes a timeline for (bitmap) animation. Might be fun to test - it should work quite well on the SP4.