Anyone cares to post their tips on building templates for cut-out characters?

Hi y’all!

I’m wondering if there are any good souls out there who are willing to take the time to share with the rest of us what they prefer when building cut-out puppets.

I’m talking about, how many poses do you draw, whether you use the legs or draw them as you go, how many substitute drawings for mouth, eyes, etc. I reckon it always depends on the needs of the final animation, but I’m a total noob here so i would like to learn from you guys all I can if possible :slight_smile:

Carlos

I would like to second this request.

HiJust a couple of thoughts1) It may be worth looking at Marty’s tutorial at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7H22Mtv2nY&feature=related I found it interesting listening to his thought process and he’s a great animator. 2) If you have access to ToonBoom Studio the cut-out tutorials and sample material are very detailed and you can infer a great deal about how the cut-out experts work by looking at them. Bear in mind that ToonBoom and Animate 2 are technically very different so the material is useful for “process” not technical operation.Bob

Thanks for the tips Bob. I just started with Marty’s Ninja tuts. I can’t find the studio tutorials though. Are there free or do you mean the training videos wich are for sale on the ToonBoom website?

Hi The tutorials I was thinking of are part of the ToonBoom Studio Work Out Bundle. The particular tutorial was the one on rigging. It comes with a sample project that can only be opened in Studio. I think they may have come as “free” when I bought Studio. However, I find it difficult to keep track of the ToonBoom deals. If you have come from the Studio upgrade route this may be a Red Herring.For me, one of the difficult parts in rigging is hiding the fact it’s a cut-out character by getting the joins/pivots right. The other difficult part is making sure that I have a storyboard that is detailed enough to develop the majority of limbs and pivots before I begin animating. It avoids the two pitfalls of a) Building stuff I never use b) having to develop a lot of stuff on the fly. Bob