Any tips for smooth normals

I want to test more of this 3d light but I have a hard time to create a smooth normal map for face for example.

Hello aalpe,

It would be a pleasure to help you out with the Light Shading feature.
Could you explain a little bit more what your issue is and what you would like to achieve in terms of looks?

Thank you,
Matisse

Well my issue was about normal maps and getting that smooth shading. But now I have a small idea how to achieve this. I need to experiment a little more with those shader settings
and maybe I am able the get that look.

I would also love to learn more about the light shading feature. I’ve watched Adam Phillips’ tutorials which are fantastic but I still can’t seem to wrap my head around it. Do you think TB could release a simple rig we could explore? Or another tutorial about setting up a character from start to finish with the light shaders? For some reason my lights overlap on certain body parts and I don’t know how to fix it. Eg. I have a shader on the hair, the hair is behind the characters shoulders but the light shading is in front of the shoulders.

I’ve been experimenting with light shaders for some time now, and have used them here and there on a case-by-case basis. they take quite some time to set up properly with a lot of trial and error, however once the system is in place you generally don’t have to touch it as you animate. this past week i did a lot of research with it and am gearing up to use it extensively for a new character at my work.

generally speaking, to get a smooth transition, you up the value in the smoothing column in the Normal Map properties. raising the values of the bevel and the height along with the smoothing values with result in a more “spherical” normal map.