Animation tool to move on two's?

I like to look of animation on two’s, so when I animate (on two’s) and I see an opportunity to to use to the animation tool (the computer moving the object) I use it, but it looks so wonky having everything else move on twos and the object that I used the animate tool to move on ones. I was wondering if there’s a way to get the animation tool to move on two’s?

You can make a interpolation hold on 2s or 3s, etc., via the Velocity Editor. You can get to it by clicking the 3D Path Editor on the Peg Layer Properties, icon after the ‘x’, 3rd from the right. On the Velocity Editor you have a stair icon, which is the Hold Value Editor. There you can select a range of frames and choose the hold value. This might be useful when, for instance, you have animation on 2s and a camera movement. The animation can look shaky because the camera moves smoothly every frame while the animation changes on two frames. Changing the camera path by holding it on 2s will ‘sync’ it to the animation. But this is tricky because to work well all odd and even frames should match, that is if your camera moves on frames 1, 3, 5, but some animation layers move on 2, 4, 6 or have parts on 1s, then on 3s, etc., it might not be very smooth.

If it’s just an object or the camera, the above method might make sense. Otherwise, maybe you can animate with stop-motion keyframes instead of motion/interpolation for full control. Of course, if you have a path, it’s easier to, for instance, just make two positions with KFs. If you want to convert the path to stop-motion on 2s, alternatively to using the 3D Path Editor you can first keyframe the path on 2s and then convert it to stop-motion KFs removing interpolation.

Luis Canau

Hi,

you can also use this script:
https://toonboomscripts.com/2014/06/23/convert-to-2s/
It allows you to transform multiple function curves into stairs at the same time.

If you prefere converting your interpolations to stop-motion keys you could also try the “Create keyframes On” function from the timeline menu bar (which is not displayed by default).

Ah, yes, Create Keyframes On… is much more immediate than the methods I mentioned and has the visual advantage on the timeline over the “stairs” process.

Yes, but it has the disadvantage that the animation beeing ‘baked’ to keyframes, you’ll loose your velocity curves.
So, all depends on if the animator wants to keep the possibility to modify the velocity curves or not. :slight_smile:

Thanks I’ll try these out!