Animating my Puppet?

I created a simple character puppet, and i cant figure out how to animate it. when i drag it from the library everything seems fine, but after i insert the keyframe on a further spot in the time line my character disappears, the strange thing is that the first time i made the puppet i was animating it just fine.

can anyone help?

Thanks!!!

Make sure that you extend the exposure of your puppet throughout the timeline where you want to animate it. Go to that frame and hit F5 to extend exposure.

~Lilly

Thanks, I’ve actually done that, and messed around with exposure, and keyframes in all sorts of ways, but it doesn’t seem to work, I feel crazy haha. Do you have any other ideas of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!!!

Is the puppet the only thing in the scene?

Could you of accidently put a background above it and it is actually behind the background?

Are you in the Camera view? Make sure you’re in the camera view.

Perhaps you could send us a screenshot? Go ahead and upload your screenshot to a free site like photobucket and just post the link below and we can take a look at it.

I have the same problem. And I got a way to get around it.

When I’m importing the puppet to the library I only select the frames that contain the drawings (not whole layers as the tutorial suggests). Then I’m able to extend the exposure and animate it.

Although I don’t think that’s the proper way to do it.

When I’m doing it the way tutorial suggests I get a movie roll in every layer and each next frame in the layer is an empty drawing substitution (that is 1 drawing at frame 1 and 59 empty ones). When I do it my way the layers are normal grey ruler-looking ones.

Though I wish I knew what I’m doing wrong when I’m following the tutorial.

Hope I helped.

It sounds like somehow when you’re making your puppet, you’re creating symbols - that’s what the movie-roll means. Usually even if it’s a symbol, if you extend the exposure, you should still be able to animate it.

When you bring the symbol/template back in on the left-hand side, do you see the movie roll all the way through your scene? Another work-around to this problem would just be to delete all the frames after your first frame and then extend the exposure again, and try animating on it now.

You can also try holding down Control when you bring it in to the left-hand side, this should bring it in without being in a symbol.

Also when you make things into a symbol, they usually come with a default length set - usually 60 frames. If you only are using one frame in the symbol, the best thing to do is to shorten the “scene length” of your symbol by double-clicking to go inside the symbol, then shortening the length of the timeline by dragging on the red bar that indicates the end of the scene, and drag it all the way to the end of your symbol. This way you won’t get a lot of extra empty frames coming into the scene when you import your symbol.

~Lilly

wow. both methods work.

see they don’t give you these detailed informations in the tutorials.
thanks a million. that helped. :slight_smile: