animating between transformations

Hi,

I have a leg where I put 2 different transformations with the “create new deformation chain”. One from the hip, one from the ankle.

How to change between them “on the go”? F.ex if the character is walking, I use the transformation “from the hip”. Then he kneels down, and I want to switch to transformation “from the ankle” to make his foot stay on the ground.

Any suggestions?

Kari

Hi GeneTB,

Thanks for posting that info. I was hung up on the Deformation Switch Node. Based on its name, I assumed that was how I would switch between deformations. It had not occurred to me that I would need a drawing for each chain, and would switch chains through drawing substitution.

When I swap to the second drawing, the leg is in a completely different position than the first drawing after its deformation. I don’t suppose there is an easy way to have the second chain follow the first before the swap other than with pegs, onionskin, and careful eyeballing? There is no IK/FK blend attribute, the way 3D apps do it, is there?

Yes, can someone please explain how the Transformation Switch node operates and how it differs from the deprecated Deformation Switch Node?
I am trying to figure out the exact setup karip is doing and expecting to find a keyframable attribute for the Transformation Switch node in the timeline that allows switching from one deformation chain to another on a single drawing. Not having much success.

Hi Karip!

To optimize this setup, make sure that your first deformation (hip to ankle) chain is on one drawing and the second deformation (ankle to hip) is on a second identical drawing.

If you are unsure as to how you can achieve this, I suggest you take a look at the following link:
http://docs.toonboom.com/help/harmony-12-2/premium/deformation/create-transformation-chains.html?Highlight=create%20deformation%20chain

At this point, you can just swap to your second drawing when your character starts kneeling.

Let me know if this helps, cheers!

Does anybody have an answer to this question?

The userbase for this program on the internet sure is… minimal.

Hi,

as far as I know, at present, there’s no IK/FK blend function in Toon Boom Harmony.
But you can have a look at this thread dealing with the same topic:

https://forums.toonboom.com/harmony/general-discussion/about-deformation-chains#new

I usually do this on my rigs. I think this might solve the problem