animating a peg or drawing layer ?

hi,

im confused about something … now im animating my cut out puppet by using only dwaning; i mean i animate the drawing layer without putin it into a peg layer, i saw some tutorials on wich they put each drawing layer into a peg and then they animate the peg layer without touching the drawing layer and this is still strang for me …i know that the peg layer is made for animating … but i think that we can animate the drawing layer too without puting it into a peg … so which is better ?animate the drawing without puting it into a peg or using a peg ? and what a peg can give more than what can a drawing layer do ? thank you so mush

You can do either or a combination of both methods for various parts of your character, it’s up to you. On the one hand, it’s nice to have the peg separate so that the drawing itself is left untouched. I find pegs particularly helpful when I want to make a path for my character to walk from point A to point B. Or a separate peg for the head to control a specific movement like up and down or the rotation.

In the video tutorials they recommend pegs for everything which I personally find cumbersome and unnecessary in many cases. When I was using TB Studio I recall them saying they had a new feature that you no longer needed pegs to animate your drawing layers but could animate drawing layers directly. Ha!

As for my personal preference, I animate directly on the drawing layer and only use pegs for specific parts or actions where it is convenient in my workflow.

The big plus for pegs is you can turn the animation off on the object while it still remains visible (in the inital position).

I’ll jump in since I don’t understand this, either. In the “Chapter 9: Rigging” tutorials, there’s a lot of rework going on and the purpose isn’t clear. For example, we get to

KR_01_ARM-PEG (which is an element)
+ kr_01_arm-peg (which is a peg)
+ kr_01_arm (which is an element)
+ KR_01_UPPERARM-PEG (which is an element)
+ kr_01_forearm-PEG (which is a peg)
+ kr_01_forearm (which is an element)
+ kr_01_hand-PEG (which is a peg)
+ kr_01_hand (which is an element)

How’s this effect turning the animation off?

What would the drawbacks be to just having

KR_01_ARM-PEG (which is an element)
+ kr_01_arm (which is an element)
+ KR_01_UPPERARM-PEG (which is an element)
+ kr_01_forearm (which is an element)
+ kr_01_hand (which is an element)

Put another way, is there an issue with just using drawing elements all the time until you have a need for a peg?

Maybe that addresses the tutorial. They’re solving problems I haven’t encountered yet?

I prefer your second structure except I would have a peg for the hand too!

Hopefully Lilly can chime in about potential uses for the more complex structure, because I use the more simple one.

I’m fairly new to puppeting in TB, but it seems pegs are most useful for changes. It’s a lot easier to move those key frames around after the fact than ones on drawings, particularly if you’re using drawing substitutions. Also, I’ve been trying to avoid keyframes on drawings at all because those keyframes tend to get into fights with any peg keyframes they might be linked to.

Well the advantage of using peg layers is that it separates your drawings and your keyframes, so it makes it easy to modify the keyframes and drawings separately. This is why many studios still choose this setup.

Also, you can create hierarchies with pegs that goes beyond the direct. For example, you can have a peg that controls all the facial features.

Lastly, if you use pegs, and you need to go back and stretch one drawing layer on its own, you can, because it’s not connected directly to the child layers.

~Lilly