animate v studio for mobile games

Hi, I am very much a newbie and considering getting Studio or Animate for making mobile games. I notice that the toonboom website says that Animate has ‘most’ things that Studio has but generally everything else is more sophisticated. Is there anything missing from Animate, that Studio has, that I would find frustrating? Or is Animate really just a better program all round?
I am not particularly looking to make movies but export the animations for latter incorporation into games (by someone else)
thanks for any help
Greg

I suggest you use the ple to give animate a test run.

Also watch the kickstart tutorial videos. They only go for 2 hours and cover all the basic functionality.

Hi,

The Kick-Start videos for Animate are no longer available.
For Animate 2 and Animate Pro 2, they were replaced by the new series of Training Videos.

http://www.toonboom.com/products/animate/how-to/video-tutorials/

They are a bit longer and more in depth. I recommend you watch the first 2 packs to get familiar with the basic concepts.

Then you can bounce around and watch videos on the topics you want to learn about.

Marie-Eve

Really? you should put them back up. They served as great advertising for Animate and are still relvant. I even look back at them if i forget something.

Hi,

I will transfer your feedback to the Marketing team.
We adjusted the training videos based on the feedback we got from the community.

Although, the Sample Material and Getting Started Guide are still available on:
http://www.toonboom.com/products/animate/how-to/

Thank you for your input,

Marie-Eve

thanks - that’s some great tutorial material. But my major question is regarding Studio versus Animation and the tutorial material is not heping there so much. Most likely I have expressed myself badly. Is Animation a better version of Studio, or are there functions in Studio that are completely missing from Animation - ie things Studio can do that Animation can’t

thanks,

Hi!

You can visit the product comparison page:
http://www.toonboom.com/products/compare/compare_animation_software.php

It should give you a basic idea.

I would say for now, the main differences that are only available in Studio are the Bones and the Stop-Motion Animation live capture feature.

Marie-Eve

Thankyou so much Marie-Eve, that is what I was wanting to know

welcome!

Sorry for going off topic a bit OP, but you totally need those kickstart videos back. Yes you are right feedback from the community was they wanted more in depth videos, however the kickstart videos were an awesome and quick overview. The 2 can co-exist. Watch kickstart first then move onto the more in depth videos.

@Sorry for going off topic a bit OP, but you totally need those kickstart videos back. Yes you are right feedback from the community was they wanted more in depth videos, however the kickstart videos were an awesome and quick overview. The 2 can co-exist. Watch kickstart first then move onto the more in depth videos.@

So thats where they’ve gone and where they were, I thought I saw some tuts before, with a rabbit but couldn’t find them any more, all is clear now ::slight_smile:

Those were good though

I’ve been on a short break waiting for the game engine to be built, but I have used Animate2 for all my animation and sprite sheets. It’s a platform based game. To make a long story short, a software company approached me for the animation. I said sure, not knowing if I could pull it off or not, but I was confident enough that I could with TBA.

I basically export a .png sprite sheet for them. All from TBA. Here is a sample, this is a very basic demo. We were just working on the physics and stuff. My learning curve was placing every frame on one sheet. So far so good. Again this is just the ruff draft. Gotta add some more gravity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qfEnQHE97E

Good Luck!!!

Gene

thanks eglue - and good luck with the game :slight_smile:

On the main topic: definitely Animate, not Studio, for game art. I own both Studio and Animate and I make computer games, so I see the differences first hand. Animate has great vector tools that allow you to trace an image by hand, so you can easy convert any image (photo or otherwise) into your own, thereby avoiding the copyright problems. (within limits…of course). Furthermore, with Animate you can pretty easily sketch out an animatic of your game (like a gameplay video, only no one is really playing), complete with sounds. This helps both you and your artist get a feel for what your game will look like before you code it. Lastly, Animate is GREAT for creating image sequences and images for sprite sheets. I also use Flash and After Effects for some of this, but there really is nothing like Animate for quickly turning out animated images.

On the Quick Start Tutorials: definitely bring them back. This new series is far too fragmented and verbose for my learning style. (And I suspect many others as well). I bought my first copy Animate in large part because of the Quick Start Videos, which were able to get me up an running quickly. With this new video series I would probably have given up after the week or two.

That is a really cool WIP.

What phone platform are you making it for?

thanks johncmurphy - esp good info about the export options

Agreed that looks very Professionally done.

Thanks. As far as I know it is Windows OS and Xbox Live. The Design Doc’s look pretty hefty. Many levels. Many characters, about 26. Playable and incidentals. Should be a hoot!! I’m looking forward to it.

Gene