animate crashes on a mac, too

hi,
it’s been a long time i posted to a toonboom forum (formerly studio, now on animate). the switch was a real good decision, nevertheless some issues come up.

the app crashes on my macbook pro (2.4ghz core duo, 4gb ram) while drawing and erasing. i draw really fast, short lines (it’s currently a raw layer) and switch the drawing tools permanently.
ok, i left the open gl realtime antialiasing on (i don’t really like the suppressed look) and the support triple buffering is also ‘on’, although i don’t really know what it is.

what should i check additionally in order to troubleshoot the issue?
cheers,
rob

update:
it doesn’t crash all the time, but on some occassions, approx. once in 30 minutes of intensive work…

Hi,

Are you using the pencil tool or the brush tool? You might want to trigger off the anti-aliasing temporarily to see if you manage to reproduce this without.

Something similar was noticed previously and will be fix in the upcoming release of the software.

Regards,

Ugo

hi ugo,
thanks for the reply and for keeping an eye on the issue.

actually i use only pencil, the eraser and the select tool in the hand-drawn animation workspace.

the application crashes occassionally for no particular reason, but only when either the pencil or the eraser is in use.
the antialiasing is still ‘on’, though, but i have a vague suspicion that some buffer overrun might cause this cyclic disfunction.

will the next release be a patch or a paid upgrade?
cheers,
rob

i turned the antialiasing off and the app still crashes, even more often now.
i have great troubles keeping up the workflow. i save permanently, but i have to restore the workspace after each crash.

i’m a bit disappointed, studio seemed to be more stable, though…
cheers,
rob

hi,
i don’t want to be boring and i don’t know if this information is of any value, but here’s some console stuff after the last crashes with the antialiasing set to ‘off’:

thanks a lot,
cheers,
rob

Hi,

Next release should be a patch for the current version. You may want to try using the Brush tool instead of the pencil it may be a little stabler since there is less calculation involved.

Regards,

Ugo

For the Workspace you could turn off the Preferences> General > Automatically Save Workspace and save the way you like it once and for all. If you mean that you make small workspace change while working and then went to come back then this would not help because it crashed before you saved the workspace.

adding to the ANIMATE bug report:

i noticed that with a growing number of substitution drawings (i have for some of all 14 body parts up to 100 drawings, they’re brushes, not pencils) any camera view click on a character part to be substituted or re-edited causes a crash. the clicks in the timeline seem to be more stable.

hope it can be helpful.

BTW, is there any promised patch for ANIMATE in the offing?
thanks.
rob

I have a crashing problem as well. It crashes on me when I open Animate?
If you found out anything on this please send me in the right direction.

Thanks

Woah… old post mate…

"Next release should be a patch for the current version"

When is that gonna be? next year? 2 years???

why does it work for some and not for others???

further adding to the ANIMATE bug report:

i wrote once:

i turns out that already with only few substitute images the crash occurs, too. in my present project, with up to 3 substitutions, tha program crashes if double-clicked on any character part in the camera window (ik-chains).

please look at it for the upcoming patch. when will it appear, anyway?
thanks.
rob