Animate 3

If Animate Pro 3 (and Harmony) wants to get ahead of the game in cut-out animation they really need to pay attention to their competition.
CelAction2D and Anime Studio Pro 9 both have some amazing tools and concepts, and should be on Toon Boom’s R&D purchase list.

Smart bones, Point animation, Swapping drawing linked to other swapped drawings, etc.

Perhaps a point deform tool could be added to the bone and curve deformer lineup. Perhaps the point deform objects could be linked to a bone deformer, to give a Toon Boom smart bone.

It’s entirely made for cut-out animation. However, if you want to mix frame-by-frame with cut-out techniques, I wouldn’t recommend it.

I’m thinking the same way as you, Guitarist.
I currently own TBAP2 but rarely use the bone / cut-out system.

They’re marketing Animate Pro as a “cut-out” animation program because 1) bone tools are inevitably an extra on top of regular animation tools, which means that 2) the program with the extra tools will cost more and 3) the more expensive and feature-rich program naturally gets the “Pro” added to its name. Not because cut-out is more professional. In any case, I ordered Animate 3 because I’ve come to hate cut-out style. And I think TB really needs to consider that they have just marketed their more expensive software as having precisely those features that are in demand among hobbyists, who are going to look for a less expensive solution.

I would also note that Animate 2 had many small, welcome improvements over Animate 1 that weren’t mentioned in the feature list, so I expect the same this time.

Mark you say you’ve ordered Animate 3. Did you upgrade from V2?

Yes. The sales people are quite excellent, I should add.

I agree, they’ve always been really quick to answer my emails and are very helpful.

You know its strange because Ive been noticing this trend in software recently where the latest version of a program has maybe only 2 or 3 new things added. Like not much from a user point of view is the next version of “x” software in 2013 that adds anything significant worth the price of an update compared to past updates. For example adobe photoshop cc, sketchup 2013, and now it seems animate 3. Dont get me wrong the things they included are nice. I actually really like the 64 bit, and the true pencil. But these things have already been in harmony and storyboard if im not mistaken. Yet even though I may question lack of updates that I personally would want (like something close to a scenemanager ). And even though I really dont understand this new method of marketing animate and animate pro as seperate framebyframe/cut-out software; I do realize that the people behind the desk making this program work hard to provide us with a great piece of software/service and I really appreciate their efforts. So would I want to upgrade and is it worth the money?..I do like a few features out of the four but currently dont feel persuaded enough to invest in the upgrade…for now

You can’t add much more to Photoshop. Sketchbook is supposed to be simple (and cheap). I’m worried that Toon Boom may not have the resources, because there aren’t enough customers for 2D animation, which is another reason why I want to support them with my money. Also, like I said in another post, Animate 2 had some nice, small features added that weren’t even advertised (I think the ability to use the cutter tool with “mouse gestures” was one of them).

There’s still plenty to add to programs-things we mortals haven’t even thought of. I’m not privy to ToonBoom’s bottom line, but I think they do pretty well. Every studio here in Seoul is using Harmony and its expanding worldwide. Its in use at all the major studios in L.A., Fox, Disney, Warner Bros etc. Its in use in China.

I probably don’t have a good grasp on just how much 2D animation is happening worldwide, outside of the slump in feature films, and Toon Boom is certainly the industry standard.

There is still plenty of 2D production worldwide. Even Bangladesh is getting in on the act. Mostly for TV. Features are plentiful but more in 3D.
And besides Harmony, Storyboard Pro is used all over the place for live action, 2D and 3D animation-its the industry standard in Hollywood.
And Toonboom itself is really a dynamite company.Excellent customer service for a start.

Awhile ago, people were crying because Animate did not have some of the same tools as Harmony did–editable pencil lines, deformers, etc. Now that they will be available in Animate Pro 3 people are saying there are not enough new features to interest them in upgrading. It also seems that it is incorrect to think that Animate Pro is primarily for cutout animation. It has all the same frame by frame features of Animate plus more. So I don’t understand.

Personally, the pencil lines and deformers were my main reason for upgrading to Harmony. I occasionally use the particle effects and have yet to use the 3D model import features as I don’t own Maya. If Toon Boom someday makes it possible to use 3D models generated in Blender which is freeware, I’d use it.

where are toonboom?

why haven’t they commented on v3 or some of the questions here? I know its been Canada Day, hope it was a good one, but its 2 days after and we know little more!

looking forward to hearing about all the new features etc.

Its hard to understand because its personal preference . to each their own.

I agree photoshop is missing quit a bit of features in terms of drawing and painting. Photography features (which its meant for) it has a lot of though. Sketchup only added one new feature, managing plugins (got alot of people upset). So theres always something to add to software, but it really depends on what you view as important. If you’re a 3d artist for example perhaps to you, photoshop is adequate as it is. If you are a professional animator, these small additions could be huge! and not small at all. Its really relative. Relative to whats already out there in the industry, and relative to your taste. I dont want to sit and complain about the things one can wish for because at the end of the day its an improved program.

Very interesting I had no idea toonboom was based in Canada. Pretty cool.

as a paint program, I use Painter for that. So you’re probably right. But if they did add more painting features to PS, I’m sure they would be imitations of Painter and therefore not groundbreaking. I misread “sketchup” as “sketchbook” The free version of Sketchup I don’t expect to get exciting new features, I plan on buying Bonzat 3D to replace it. It’s a great program.

seems like you can now buy v3 and v3 pro… cool upgrade pricing is available too.

Tony

Here I thought maybe they would wait until Siggraph to release it but when it was available yesterday I jumped at the chance.

I have always wanted bones/deformations but Harmony was really out of my price range. The only thing that I have been disappointed with thus far is that the curve deformer did not make it into AP 3 and is still a Harmony-only feature. I guess I understand the need to keep some features for the high-end flagship, but still would have been nice…

Anyway, am I right in understanding that outside of the Curve Deformer, the Auto Muscle and Wave Deformation modules that everything else with the Bone Deformers is on par with Harmony?

Happy with the new and improved Pencil tool and heck, I even love that the Center on Selection button is set up by default with the rest of the timeline toolbar.

-Mark