among us animators: a few questions

hi all,
as i come originally from other art fields (actually architecture and graphic/product design), i often think it over how should i master my animation approach.
maybe some of you do the same thing. that’s why i’d like to ask you some questions to help me (and maybe others, too) to get a clear picture of what i’m in for.

1. do you animate as your hobby or for a living?

2. what are your films (web animations, big or small productions, music clips, advertising pieces etc.)?

3. how many hours do you animate daily?

4. your short personal comments on the profession of the animator.

i’ll do the start:
1. i hope to do the animation professionally (or at least as a part of the profession), although i still virtually don’t make money with it.
2. my aim are small productions a la mordillo or la linea pieces, based on humor and a few designed characters, no dialogue to maintain the internationalization.
3. i do it digitally for 5-6 hours daily, actually for not much more than 1.5 years, although i did my first hand drawn animated film back in 1998.
4. for me the small web productions flood the market, and they are to have for the asking. my clue was to find a niche for a clearly distinguishable humorous series.

i hope you find this small survey usable.
cheers,
rob

update:
one of my last productions, a first sketch for the series:
www.gesterworks.net/01_homerun.html

What a great topic. Gets us to talk about ourselves, and many animators love to do that!

1. do you animate as your hobby or for a living?I animate as a hobby. In my day job I teach multimedia to mainly 9th and 10th graders, with a few 11 and 12 graders in there. Naturally, I’d love nothing more than finding my way out of the classroom and into something where I can animate and draw a lot.

2. what are your films (web animations, big or small productions, music clips, advertising pieces etc.)?
My animations are small web pieces of 1-2 minutes. Again, I have visions (delusions of grandeur) of larger pieces, epic adventures featuring my biker characters, but I’ve realized the lunacy of that for now. I’ve also decided I’m almost ready to animate a couple of poems I wrote around 20 years ago, one of which is four pages long and set in the woods and the hills.

Haha–busted! On a good day I can get in more hours than I deserve. I’m starting a tobacco related project with the advisor of the tobacco education club at my school. On a good day when the kids are in an easy project and are focused, I can get in a lot of work during class. The kids like to see the stuff I do and I like to think it pushes them artistically.

I also get up early on my days off–as early as 4 am–so I can work without interruption from the family. This summer I’m teaching a night class from about six to ten pm, so I plan to animate early an during my son’s naps, then be a family guy the rest of the time, maybe ride the motorcycle a bit.

Animating pushes the mind in many directions–to think about physics, story, character, acting. I think we use a half percent more of our brains than others. We also tend towards a little eccentricity. Or maybe that’s just me. ;D

1. do you animate as your hobby or for a living?
Hmm kinda both. Im a student studying computer animation at university so i do tend to work in my spare time but i hope this will become something i can do for a living after university.

2. what are your films?
Well, whatever the current project requires me to do :wink: Since i have 5 modules per semester and a semester lasts October-December then another one January-June, each animation tends to be a short piece, and since most of the work tends to be 3d rather than 2d, its not really intended for the web.

Haha :-[ Not as many as i should…

I think animation tools are too easily accessable these days which allows anybody to have a go - which isnt bad in some ways, but it does bring the general quality of animation down, therefore you dont need to be as good, in order to work. I was watching a program on tv the other day (not sure what it was) and the animation was soo bad i thought they must have gone out and gotten someone who doesnt have the first clue about animation to do the job.

Chris.

i thing i would be better if these great animators of this forum suggest us movies …so once can gain ideas by watching them :smiley:

I recently watched Rock and Rule one of the first canadian animated feature film by Nelvana.

I LOVED IT !!!

I found a lot of similarities between this movie and the rencent “Les Triplette de Belleville”. I’m pretty sure Sylvain Chomet was influenced by this movie that was published in the early 80s.

I recommend it to everyone.

cheers,

i think there is a search feature to look for threads with links, like this one:
http://www.toonboom.com/support/forums/toonBoomStudio/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1619
this thread is for some other purpose. don’t mix things, please.
cheers,
rob