Alpha background using TB#

Hi All -

Anyone been successful creating an alpha transparency from TB3 into QuickTime? I have read the treads in the Export category but it seems all the solutions are not functionable in TB3 as the options don’t exist. Logic tells me that if it works in older versions of TB, then there must be a way in TB3 (windows version). I have some fourteen files that need to be converted for the producer who will be taking my transparency files into QuickTime and merging it with the rest of the film …
Thanks in advance… Dan

Hi Dan,

When you export your Quicktime Movie you will need to change the settings to Custom. Then press continu and a setting window will pop. Press the “Settings…” button. After that simply change the compressor to “Million of Colors +”. (this has been tested on Toom Boom Studio v3.0)

When you will check the movie on QuickTime you shouldnt see the difference since there is a default color in the background but whenever you will import the video inside After Effects or Premiere you will see that the alpha has been conserved.

Best regards,

Ugo

Hi there,

There is absolutely no issues with TBS V3 and alpha channels.
If there is, it is an isolated problem.

When I’ve seen the older posts (like you did) I had doughs and I made some tests. I have tested all formats that supports alpha on many different hardware and didn’t have any problems.

Thanks,

Hi All -

I was able to gen a .mov using the custom/settings/millions colors + but that is as far as I have been able to get … if I understood correctly, QuickTime itself will not recognize the alpha .mov file… what I am trying to do is layer my alpha file atop a test background file…I downloaded a test version of Adobe After Effects and am in the process of trying to figure out just how to do that… so far I have had no success of combining the two files… I even tried following the manual :slight_smile: … if anyone has a procedure or preferred software package they have used that I can try, I would greatly appreciate it… thanks, dan

Hi Dan,

I’m pretty sure the Million of Colors + is working fine in After Effects. I have used it many time and its all good.

When you are going to import your .mov file inside After Effects just make sure to check “Strait Unmatted”. This should keep the Alpha as it was in the original movie. After that simply make a composition and you will see that you are able to see objects you place behind the movie.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2267/imgalpha1wm.th.jpg

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/6557/compalpha4kh.jpg

Best regards,

Ugo

awesome guys… not sure what the heck I did but sometimes pressing buttons with no clue what you are doing pays off :slight_smile: … I got the alpha file to work in after effects not just once, but twice, with two different backgrounds… :slight_smile:
thanks, I do appreciate the time and education… dan