All new to me

I’m new to Toon Boom and I’m not an animator! I am a high school physics teacher and I bought TB to make animations to illustrate various concepts. At the moment I’m trying to illustrate gas particles bouncing inside a container, with the container changing its volume. Have I bought the right software and, as a beginner, have I bitten off more than I can chew?

you could surely do this in tbs, drawing all stages of the process and animating them in many output possibilities (image sequence, flash, quicktime, avi or digital video).
i only wonder, why you ask such questions after you purchased the package. what was the explanation for buying it?
rob

Good question! My initial look at TB told me I could do all the animations I wanted, but my first attempts at this project have been less than successful. I haven’t found my way around the program yet, so I wondered if this project was a bit too ambitious.

Thanks for your reply.

you can do your project in two different ways:
1. draw every stage of the process in the sequential frames (you can change each frame anytime and export as a film or an image sequence again and again)
2. photograph every stage and import the photos as images (you can’t change them nor add any lines then). you then animate the image sequence and export into above mentioned formats.
cheers,
rob

update:
and you can mix the both methods, too. just create two elements: an image and a drawing one. you can use the photos as backgrounds and draw the changing process stages onto the drawing element. just watch out the camera distance, in case the image element covers the drawing, you’ll have to move them slightly in the 3d scene planning space.

Thanks for your help. After I started getting around the program I’ve had some success with the project. It’s not pretty, but it’s on the right lines!

NR

NR,

I’m a newbie to TB, but what you are trying to do sounds as if it can be done, providing you don’t want it too look too sophisticated.

Draw a gas particle. Create lots of duplicate elements.

Drop each particle element onto its own movement peg, and make the particles travel across the whole camera view but in different directions. (Once you’ve done this for all the particles, if you ‘play’, the screen should have lots of particles moving all over it in different directions.)

Then, using four large black rectangles in front of the particles, cover up most of the screen apart from a small rectangle in the centre.

Drop each rectangle on a movement peg to slowly withdraw it away from the centre towards the edge of the screen. This will give the illusion of an expanding container.

Although the gas particles don’t actually “bounce” on the edge of the container, if you have lots of particles it will create a good enough impression for your illustration and shouldn’t take too much time.

Steve

Steve

Thanks. It sounds a lot easier than my attempts to get equal angles of incidence and reflection off the container walls. I’ll give it a try.

NR