Adding clickable links to videos

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have created a video that’s going to be posted on a website (so am using .swf output). I want to add a website link in the last scene. I know how to write a link in html but I don’t know how to add it to the video… any ideas? Anyone done this? I tried experimenting with bringing the video into Adobe Flash Professional but I can’t seem to retain the image quality. Is there another way? Thanks!

Thanks you for responding, Lilly.

Has anyone else ever done this? What tools /video players would you recommend? Thanks!

YouTube does it by placing a link over the video area. I haven’t drilled into their JavaScript to see how the link becomes active only at the end of the video.

1. You want the end of the video to auto-kick to a new url,
    OR
    2) At the end of the video, you want to afford the user the opportunity to click to a new url?

As far as your resolution goes in Flash - I completely understand where you’re coming from! The only way I was able to resolve the issue was to spend time experimenting with different export settings until I found a resolution that worked with my file size limitations. Unfortunately, that was a while ago and I didn’t save my notes - SORRY!

For scenario #1 - you can create a ‘cue point’ embedded in the video that triggers events. I’ve never gotten really deep into this, but I’ve done similar stuff where if a user watches all the way to the end, the cue point kicks and loads a completely new html page with a special message. Again, I don’t remember the specific steps (this was with CS3, so it’s probably really easy by now), but if you research working with a custom flash player and ‘cue points’ it’s not that difficult to figure out.

For scenario #2 - The easiest thing is to offer the url in the html body outside of the player, so the audience can click through whenever they like. But if you want the link to ONLY be offered at the end, I know it can be done with the player, but again, I’m not familiar with the specific steps.

Of course, the MOST EASIEST would be to follow mdhender’s suggestion, and use the great tools already available on YouTube. You can then imbed the YT video right into your webpage - win win because then you don’t have to clog up your server with video files or bandwidth needs.

Good luck!

Kris10

I believe you can do this inside Camtasia Studio.

There’s no way to add a clickable link directly in Toon Boom. Not sure how you’d do this in Flash either, but perhaps others here know…

~Lilly