A few questions

I just started using Toon Boom Studio and have tried animating a few quick scenes. I’ve come across a few things that I can’t wrap my head around even though they’re probably fairly obvious. I’m just going to list them here and hope that someone might be able to address them.

1, Colouring with multiple layers:
I’ve got a few different drawing layers for a head. I’ve got the head, eyes, nose and mouth on four separate layers so that I can animate them individually. It’s all working for me until I try to colour the head. If I paint fill the head on the head layer, I will then not be able to see any of the other layers on top of it. I would like, if possible, to be able to see the layers on top of the layer I’m painting so that I am able to paint around the features and know what I’m doing. Is it possible to do this? What’s the best method for more complex shading/colouring when using multiple layers?

1. camera view and drawing view:
    I’m working on a scene at the moment and when I draw something in the drawing view it appears much smaller in the camera view and if I draw it in the camera view it automatically appears small as soon as I let go of the brush. Is this is an issue with the camera position? How do I correct this?

2. Sound issues:
    I seemed to have maybe corrected this by using a .aiff file instead of a .wav, but when I initially used the wav file, the more I did to my scene the more out of sync the audio would get with the animation. So, animating lip syncing would be fine when listening/animating frame by frame, but previewing and even exporting would end up completely out of sync as the clip kept going. Is this purely because of the audio format? What’s the best format to use?

3. This is going to be a stupid question with an obvious answer, but how long can a scene go for? Should I only do one shot within a sequence or can I do a whole scene with multiple shots?

4. Animating over footage:
    Can I animate over a clip? Live action for example. Can I import video footage and animate over it? And then be able to export the clip with both the animations and video? Like a Roger Rabbit kind of thing.

5. Can I use a reference image to draw on top of? For example, if I wanted to trace over an image of George Clooney’s head, could I import an image of George Clooney and then change the size, position, opacity etc (I’ve tried it and it seems all I can use is the zoom function on an imported image) and then trace over it on a drawing layer?

I think that’s it for now. Thanks in advance.

Here’s one more:

1. Hiding and showing layers doesn’t really seem to do what it’s supposed to do. If I unselect every single layer I can still see all of them except the one that is highlight. I’m used to photoshop layers, and I just can’t wrap my head around it.
  1. Arrange the pieces in a hierarchy using the Timeline. Place everything inside a Peg. Then have the head at the top and work your way down. If anything is blocked, move it on the Z-axis slightly forward or backward until it is in front of an object.

2. The Drawing view is meant to focus on an object. It will not be positioned relevant to other objects in a scene. You can draw in both but the Drawing view is out of context and the Camera view is in context of the scene. The jump in size could be more than one thing. One possibility is the brush settings. They will snap to specified characteristics after you initially lay down the line and let up on the brush. This can effect line width and smoothness.

3. http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=toon+boom+sound+out+of+sync&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

4. Do short manageable sequences then stitch them together using a video editing program. The animation software has too much to process for you to build elaborate animations entirely within it.

5. You can animate using a movie as a background. You import them in using the drop down menu in the Timeline where you also add Pegs and Drawing Layers.

6. Yes.

7. Hiding works off the check boxes under the eyes in the Timeline however the layer you highlight will show regardless of the box being checked or not. Highlighting a layer makes it temporarily visible.