a few questions of noob:)

hello all:)

i am new to toon boom and also new to animation, but i do have some drawing expirience and also video editing expirience (used to learn premiere).
my questions are:
when i learn the tutorails (the first one with the ant drawing), i saw loop of 8 frame and this made the runing cyrcle of the ant.

if i want the ant to walk slow and natural, how can i control the speed of the shape i am animating? i made little test and i used 12 frame rates, and the animation went like very fast…not natural, so i added another frame to each draw, and it was better, but still kinda lagy…not smooth and when added like 5-10 frame to eatch draw, made it like slow motion. so…how can i control the speed?

the other question is about the same erea of the tutorials±:
lets say ,i have box shape and i need to copy this box into another 20 cells-how can i copy the box draw into 20cells at one time? what i did till now is to copy and paste into every single cell…and i am sure there is mutch better way. i used that set exposure thing , but i can’t change eatch frame…its always going to the same position.
so…how can i copy one draw into multiple cells at one time so i will be able to change the drawings of eatch cell as i like?

thanks ahead
piki.

hi piki,

I can’t answer your question about the speed of your walk cycle, I’m new to this myself.

for your second question, don’t copy the cell itself, just copy the drawing element(s) within the cell using the select tool. You can then paste & manipulate them in other cells without affecting other cells. I just tried pasting to multiple frames in the timeline and exposure sheet & had no luck. Might be possible but I don’t know how.
good luck

so…its the same as i do now, select the draw and copy and paste into free empty cell and so on one by one.

m…i am sure there is better way…

If you want to base a series of cells in a drawing element on a common starting drawing that you want to slightly modify in each of the cells in that sequence of cells, you might find the following approach relatively easy.

1. First create the base drawing in the first frame of the sequence, this will occupy one frame in your exposure sheet…

2. Select the cell you just created in the exposure sheet. Open the Library panel and select your Global library.

3. Drag the selected cell from your exposure sheet to your Global library. This creates a template of the cell you drug into the library. Because it is a template in your Global library it is now available for reuse in the same project or in new projects as desired.

4. Now select the template that you just created in your Global library and drag it to the second frame in the sequence for the element you are creating in your exposure sheet. You have now added a new cell to the element that is identical to the first cell you created but totally independent from that first cell. Notice that the cell is uniquely named indicating it is in fact a different cell from the previous cell. You can modify it without effecting the previous cell or the Global Library template you created.

5. Repeat the above process for each new duplicate cell you want for your sequence. You will have to drag the template to the exposure sheet for each independent cell you want for your sequence, but this is a fast and easy work process.

By doing this you can now modify each frame in the sequence independently of the other cells in the sequence and thus speed your animating by using a basic drawing as a starting template. There are many variations of this process which you can experiment trying once you understand the basic concept of creating and reusing templates.

Each copy of the template you drag to the exposure sheet is unique. If you wanted to modify the original template you created you would do this by editing it in the Global library. If you want to link a template into your animation so that when you edit the template all linked copies are updated you must do so using a media element. This process is different from the coping into a drawing element described above, so don’t be confused between linking and coping templates.

As to your question of how to time your animation work, I suggest that you visit my blog on THE CRAFT OF MAKING CARTOONS where I have a four part series about timing in animation that you may find informative reading. -JK

thanks mate:)

so i understand that i can’t drag and drop the same draw into few cells at the same time?

OK, a quick conceptual discussion is in order. Each frame position in an element can contain a cell. For this discussion lets stay with drawing elements. So a cell in a drawing element equates to a drawing made on a sheet of paper. If you make a drawing on a different sheet of paper, even if it is identical to another drawing you have made, it would still be a unique drawing and therefore be considered a second cell. Now every frame in an element can contain a different cell or it can “hold” the same cell as another frame. What ever is displayed when that frame is viewed is referred to as an exposure. That’s a term that comes from photographing art work for film because you create a photographic exposure for each frame of film. If you “snap” the picture of a drawing over and over with out changing the drawing under the camera, that is “holding” the drawing for multiple exposures. We express this in the exposure sheet by putting the same cell name in multiple frame locations in the same element. When we want to use a different cell we change the name of the cell to the name of the different cell we want to use.
You might ask why is this guy telling me all this stuff -lol- because when you drag a template to the exposure sheet you are basically creating a unique new cell in that element. So unfortunately Toon Boom only lets you create one new cell at a time. Even though you are replicating the template multiple times, how would Toon Boom know when you wanted to make each replication a new cell and when you just wanted to hold over multiple exposures of a single cell. So you have to create the cells one at a time when creating new unique cells. You can do multiple frames at once if you are just extending a single cell for multiple exposures. Hopefully this is helping you to better understand the process. It isn’t arbitrary but rather based on a very logical approach to working. Give it some time and you will come to appreciate how easy it really is to use as your animation skills evolve. -JK

i really apriciate your efort and your time to explain, its very helpfull and friendly:) so again thanks alot.

i think i unstand better the idea of the cells now:)
i will play with it a bit ,and i guess i will get into it deeper.

about the timing, i went to the link you gave me and also i saw other stuff about animation timing and tell me if i am right:
more frames per movement=slow and less frame per same movement=faster (the speed depends in how many frames)
also i kinda have some better understanding of keyframes and timing. keyframes helps to set timing to movements and scenes?

Absolutely correct, I’m glad the articles helped you.

As to keyframes don’t confuse them with key drawings, key drawings are the drawings that set action boundaries in your sequence. Keyed Frames are a computer term. Read this article on UNDERSTANDING PEGS as it may provide you with a clearer understanding of keyed frames as well as other important concepts for your animation work. And thank you for your kind words they are appreciated. -JK