4K in Toonboom

Hi. I am having some doubts about working on 4K or not. If I want to have a 4K result in a film, Should I be working on 4K size in Toonboom?

Sure. If you want to have your project in 4K you should have all your source materials and Toon Boom project files with the 4K resolution. If you work with a lower resolution you’ll have to upscale everything loosing quality. You should work with the resolution and frame rate of your final render.

I think nowadays even if you think most places will screen an HD version if you’re working on a professional project it’s good to work in 4K because you can always export lower resolution versions.

Luis Canau

Hi Maria!

Ultimately, your project will need to be exported in 4K resolution when you render it out.

If you are working in vector only, you can go and change the settings of your project at any given time while you complete your project. The quality of the vector is lossless. Working in 4K will make the render preview heavier, but you can change the size of your preview from the settings under View / Preview Resolution.

If you are using bitmap brushes, imported images or any other bitmap asset, I recommend that you stick with the 4K resolution and make sure that the bitmap mapping of your assets are big enough to keep the quality to a maximum. You can access those when creating your scene, or from within the scene directly from Scene / Scene Settings.

Hi Genevieve,

Harmony 12 doesn’t remember the last choice for Preview Resolution. I wonder if this was changed on version 14? Working on 4K most of the times I want to preview on 1/2 or 1/3 of the resolution but the software doesn’t remember the last choice and, as far as I know, has no such setting in preferences.

Luis Canau

Hey Luis!

The preview resolution will reset back to full resolution everytime you close and reopen your scene. It will remain at the one you set as long as you don’t close it. :slight_smile:

But I think it would be nice to be able to go to the settings and have an option to have it set to 1/3 or 1/2 by default instead of having if always revert back to full resolution. I’m not sure but didn’t Harmony remember the last setting on an older version? Because currently, working in 4K, most of the times I don’t want to render a full resolution frame or clip to preview something like and effect.

Luis Canau

You could go into the Feature Request section and add your suggestion in there. Perhaps it could take the form of a Preference set to every scene opened within Harmony. :slight_smile:

Thank you, I will do that :slight_smile:

why would you use 4k? broadcasting standard is 1920x1080 or 1280x720 even, and you would have to reduce the size of your project and it would mess up your Line thickness.