3rd party layer

I have a rendered scene that i want to use as a layer in vegas pro11. Its like a merry melodies type look… red curtain with a hole in the center where I want my characters head to poke through.

In the rendered movie file, the hole is filled in with black because there was nothing there but blank space in my scene… will I now be able to use this as a layer in sony vegas overtop of another movie file? or will the black space cover up the other movie file track I am trying to lay it on?

hope this made sense… im still a big noob.

I have been trying to layer this thing but i cant figure it out… not sure if i have rendered wrong or i dont know what im doing in sony vegas… or both lol

When exporting choose a codec that supports an alpha channel… e.g. “Animation”…
From the Compressor Depth select Millions of Colours+…
(the “+” represents the alpha channel (transparent background)…

Compositing those files in “Vegas”, or any other video editor, will show the underlying movie-file through the alpha channel…

Those are the exact exporting specs I used.

When playing the .mov file should I see the trasparent areas as black space? … because thats how it is appearing to me.

When playing the Movie with QuickTime, the alpha channel will appear black…
Importing this Movie into any Compositing Software or even into Animate,
The alpha channel will appear transparent…

Ok thanks.

Hmm… I must be doing something wrong in Vegas.

On to the Vegas forums lol. Thanks guys

When you first import it into vegas, it might still look black, but then if you try to layer something underneath it, you should see the hole.

~Lilly