3D import AND TOON BOOM CUSTOMER SERVICE!

The only issue I have with Animate is that I would like to have 3D import plug in. That being said, ANIMATE HAS BEEN ONE THE BEST INVESTMENTS I HAVE MADE. I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO GIVE KUDOS TO TOONBOOM FOR THE WONDERFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE AS WELL AS THEM LISTENING TO THE THEIR CONSUMERS ABOUT THE PRODUCTS THEY PUT OUT. I HAVE BEEN VERY PLEASED WITH THEIR SALES TEAM AND MARKETING TEAM FOR RESPONDING TO QUESTIONS THAT I HAVE HAD OVER THE LAST 9 MONTHS. I HAVE WORKED IN CUSTOMER CARE AND TECH SUPPORT FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS AND AM VERY PLEASED FOR WHAT I HAVE SEEN FROM TOON BOOM. GREAT JOB GUYS AND THANK YOU FOR BEING THE BEST ANIMATION OPTION IN THE WORLD. ;D ;D

Thank you very much for your support! We do try our best to be as responsive as we can, not only on the forums, but also through email.

Unfortunately it will not be possible to make the 3D import plugin a feature of Animate. It will be available on request only for Harmony customers. It is a very complicated tool.

Thank you for your understanding.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

So this means Animate Pro will not see 3D import as well?

That is correct - 3D import is a Harmony-only feature. It is a very complicated feature and studios who wish to use it can contact their sales rep to discuss their needs.

~Lilly
Toon Boom Support

This is ex-tre-me-ly annoying news, Toon Boom team.
I read in another thread that the ‘3d-import’ would only be for your ‘Professional’ software called Harmony… Hummm…
May i know to what else refers the ‘Pro’ in “Animate Pro” please? This is really disapointing. Does this mean that the future development of Animate Pro is not fully aimed to ‘professionals’?

If this is true, I hope you guys are working on BIG improvements for 3d-object creations in Animate Pro to compensate for this lack of 3d support? (For exemple: “3d via Shape” makes it so easy for 3d noobs like me to create basic objects)

Another question: i read in one of the treads ("ATI Radeon™ HD 5750 GPU and ANIMATE PRO Compatibility
") that you guys can’t fully confirm that having an open-gl 3.x video card will be even stable as having an open gl 2.x video card. (Or did i misunderstood what’s been said in the topic?) I hope this problem will be solved with Animate Pro V2 ?

Also, there is not one single work-out video available about Animate (Pro) while there are a lot available for Studio.

Another question but this is personal: I really hope that the brush/line tools will also some have some new features ( i really miss some “Manga Studio” features that would be great additions to Animate for playing with curves and making lines)

I am worried about the future of Animate “Pro”. I hope to be wrong and that some really serious stuff and improvements are waiting around the corner.

I really would appreciate some feedback to feel a bit more confident about the future development of my investment. ^^;

Have a nice day Toon Boom Team.

I’m so sorry for the misunderstanding, let me try to explain.

Today, the 3D functionality between our product line is:

- Animate: Work 2d elements in a 3D space with the full use of 3D depth and multiplane - 2d elements are always perpendicular to the camera

- AnimatePro (Profesional): Work 2d elements in a 3D space, where 2d elements and camera can have full rotation freedom. This means that you can rotate an 2d element and create a floor or side wall, etc.

- Harmony (Industrial): Work 2d elements in 3D space, where 2d elements and camera can have full rotation freedom, and can import 3D models and Animation done in Autodesk Maya. This has been designed with the purpose of bringing “3D props” and streamline the 2d pipeline.

Currently there is a level of complexity due to the export/import from Maya as well as for the final render where Maya or a 3D render engine (like Pixar’s Renderman) is required to process the 3D elements.
We are trying to mainstream this functionality with easier set of tools and process. When we complete this development we will be in a better position to include some this functionalities in AnimatePro and Animate.

We are working in new Versions for Animate, AnimatePro, and Harmony. We are committed to improve and add new functionality to all of them. We are trying as well to have new releases of Animate and AnimatePro that are not to far a part.

For learning AnimatePro and Animate, we are providing around 3 hours of free video tutorials that includes sample material. You can download it from:

http://www.toonboom.com/products/animatepro/eLearning/

Animate, AnimatePro and Harmony uses OpenGL. If a card claims that it supports OpenGL 2 or newer is good. The difficult part is that the OpenGL implementation on the card and its “driver” should be stable and have a good hardware performance. Please let us know if you are experiencing problems with a particular card/driver/os and we will do our best to help.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any question or need more information.

Thank you very much for your support,
Francisco Del Cueto
CTO
fcueto@toonboom.com
+1(514) 490-6472 Direct

thats very interesting toonboom Fcueto! I always felt like rendering/Materials would be an issue! It always seemed easier bringing 2d to a 3d world, than bringing 3d to a 2d environment. I wonder if there will be a toonboom render, or maybe a plugin that recreates the scene in Maya, (like pixologics GO Z) and you render the animation directly in Maya with 2d animation as like a image sequence.

It seems easier to just make a quick playblast inside Maya of your animation, save it as a.mov file and draw ontop of that in Animate. Not sure how 3d in a 2d will make things easier, but im curious to see what you guys come up with : )

Wouldn’t it be easier to use a good dedicated compositing software to combine 2D and 3D elements together. My workflow is using Animate Pro & Photoshop for 2D work and Softimage & Modo for 3D work and compositing the elements together in AfterEffects and Eyeon Fusion. Any 3D import feature Toon Boom implements into its software can never match what is already out there in dedicated compositing software.

Explain the process you use in this workflow. Any alternative would help me greatly.

Great thanks for the explanation, Fcueto! I really appreciate it. It’s clear and seems honest to me. ;D

The reason why i invested as early buyer in Animate Pro was the way how you guys managed to integrate 3d with a 2d “frame by frame” software.
This is a very strong argument against other competitors like “After Effects”, that are not optimised for frame by frame animation. So please don’t stop with developing this feature.

I really believe in this software but there are a lot of potential improvements that can(must?) be accomplished for beating competitors.

This is what i would keep in mind if i worked on the Animate Pro software project:

> Further development of 3d features, like the creation of simple 3d objects.
Best exemple: 3dvia shape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghxjLhvlhVg
=>I am sure that Animate pro would be capable to make that kind of 3d integration in a user friendly way with some serious development:
(watch from 00:00:28 on) http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmm7v_pirats-animation-3d_creation
> Further development of line/brush strokes features
Best exemple: bending tool /stroke in and out / curved line creation from Manga studio/Retas Hd
(you have to try it out to understand the subtile differences even if they look similar to Animate Pro at first sight)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZQNOrur-u8
> further development of pencil emulation
Best exemple: tv paint: drawing with a wacom tablet feels just like drawing with a pencil on paper. Really fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1R33AXRr9M

I really think that animate Pro could be the ultimate 2.5 animation software. So please keep up the good work!

Meanwhile, I am really curious to see what Animate pro 2 will have to offer. :slight_smile:

Don B

Sure no problem. I use the seven following programs: DigiCel Flipbook Pro, Animate Pro, Photoshop, Softimage, Modo, AfterEffects, Fusion.

I do all my 2D animation between Photoshop, Flipbook Pro, and Animate Pro. I do my rough animation and cleanup animation in Flipbook and then import the final images as TGA files into Animate Pro for coloring and use of the superb multiplane camera, and other tools in the software and then export the final image sequence as a TGA into Photoshop. I export that out of Photoshop as an OpenEXR file.

All my CG work is done between Softimage and Modo. I use modo for modeling and background rendering and Softimage for character animation (not really good at it yet). I export that image sequence as an OpenEXR file.

I use AfterEffects if I want to stay vector but for bitmap image files I use openEXR files in eyeon Fusion where you can in do a wide range of effects that are far to numerous to mention, but one of them is combining 2D and 3D. At the moment I have learned to do is 2D animation with Toon shaded 3D backgrounds, not anything note worthy but just getting to see how the programs work and seeing what workflow fits best.

Fusion is much like Animate Pro in is a full functional 3D workspace as well as being node based. It can take a huge range of files(both 2D and 3D). The downside is it is a $5000 program ($2000 for students). If that is too far out of your reach you can opt for After Effects which is $1000($300 for students) which is the standard compositing program for most animators. Check them both out and see what you like and can afford.

I hope this answered your question!

Thanks for the info. I currently use After Effects for visual effects over live action so I am very happy to see other uses for it. I am new to digital animation and just upgraded from TBS5 to Animate. Do you think this work flow you laid out would provide the same result with Animate?

I don’t use AfterEffects for 3D so I don’t know what it is capable of but you should read up to see what it can do. You can get your 3D animation into Animate and AfterEffects by rendering out your animation as a series of still images in file formats like TGA, PSD, PNG, etc. I hope this helps you!!!

It does you rock dude thanks!

"I use AfterEffects if I want to stay vector but for bitmap image files I use openEXR files in eyeon Fusion where you can in do a wide range of effects that are far to numerous to mention, but one of them is combining 2D and 3D"

Just to be precise: The only way for AE to work vector-based is with text and basic shapes. Any vector-based file imported into it shall be rasterized. Also, OPENEXR files are recognized as well.
:wink:

Most people know about pyrats, well here you can see for yourself its pretty simple to add 3d (environment) .

(It’s towards the middle of the video)
http://www.pyrats.net/making-fiquet.html

You can see that they do a basic 3d layout/movie and just draw on top of it and render the 3d background later. Incorporating 3d is pretty simple doing it this way. Cant wait to see what you produce, good luck : D

Ok … Hmmm … Cambridge Animo had a 3D integration feature (throught Inkworks and Scene III) … and Toon Boom ate Cambridge a while ago … So why is that so difficult to have a 3D integration in TB products ???

When I watch Prince of Egypt and The Iron Giant movies (done with Animo , 10 years ago) , they do have 3D in it … and it was 10 years ago … :-<br />

I remember seeing a toonboom video of 3d incorporated into the the program. It was like a girl in a robot, and a ship flying around a building or something. It was on youtube but I think it was deleted? Maybe they decided not to leak the visual info just yet. But what I saw looked pretty amazing.

But you guys have all the tools you need right now, you just dont know it. Whatever 3d scene you want to add just go ahead and make the 3d scene and just draw on top of it. Simple : D

:slight_smile: Hi All,

Maybe it’d be nice to say some more about 3d import/export, environment and so on, not mentioning what’s the final purpose of them so far.

the questions that, project by project, I would ask to myself:

A) Do I need to involve 3d effects, masks, particles, objects to my scene?
B) Do I need to composite externally my arts together with a 3d scene/object?
c) Do I need to paint on a 3d object/scene?
D) Do I need to texturize something with a depth?

Ok, now I figure out that I’d probably keep going on for a while… lets say that these questions are enough to try to make the point. You would probably like to read the answers now but I’d rather like to say something more before:

In Media Design, they’ve been ages since people started talking about involving 3d stuff. Both worlds of people whom like to work in an All-In-One solution either those who prefer instead flying across multiple platforms have never found a easy way to speak a common language.

Yet today there’s not really a simple way to deal with it. To the final users, the editors, operators, artists, comes time by time a number of choices where to dig out what fits best their needs.

One of the big issues is to have cameras equally translated between different platforms, 3d software and compositing applications or suite. Since already within the same world (the 3d one) it’s hard to make them speak the same language you can imagine how gets a real pain when the camera has to be translated into a 2d environment.

Eh, it was better before Babele’s tower destruction…

Ok, back to the questions:

A/B) In case the answer is yes, then we have the two ways:

1) I usually work with one application. Animate, say. I have 3d stuff generated outside and I wanna involve it into my animated work. That means that the guy (or myself) that did the 3d stuff should have already the camera information of Animate’s project and eventually all the movements done there. Because otherwise nothing is gonna match in space. Then, before us thinking 3d Animate should be able to export its cameras to a 3d package or an external compositing application. Only when I have that, I (or the 3d guy) can see what’s going on.

2) I go with specific applications for different tasks. I still work with Animate but do the final compositing with, for example, After Effects, and of course use a 3d application as well. In this case, I can plan to place my elements from Animate into a 3d space in AE together with the 3d effects. The camera issue will be sort out by and within the external apps and not by Animate.

Both ways have pro and cons, what’s the best, as I said earlier, it’s hard to say. It depends by the artist to me, how comfortable he feels in one or the other way.

C/D) In case the answer is yes, then it’d be nice to have an interface within Animate to draw and paint directly on top of a 3d surface, a 3d poly or mesh object imported by an external software. With 3D software like Cinema 4D and its Bodypaint module, for example, is like to having photoshop within the application, enhancing workflow remarkably. Keep carefully in mind although that you’ll need a solid background on 3d texturing, multi shaders, uw mapping, sub-polygon displacement and so on, whereas others like PS CS4 have implemented 3d paint-on-object feature, with an easy and artistic approach more much alike Toon Boom’s soul. Sorry for talking about other products, I needed it in order to say that time is mature for investing development in that direction, trying to get closer both worlds of working along.

I hope didn’t bored anyone with this post, instead I wish that it may be helpful for who’s approaching right now to animation in general. I’m a newbie here in this forum, and I’m very glad to see that Toon Boom is doing a great job, and posts I read here are great, helpful and generous, best compliments to all of you guys.
Please keep in mind that I’m from Italy and my english may fall part once in a while, sometimes I’m not so good in the use of some words so I may sound odd, oops!

Wish you All the best
;D