3d backgrounds, help!

Hi,
I want to place background to each side, the back and the floor area. So that the characters, each on a cycle can appear to move through the space. I intend to put the background elements on a peg of their own and moving in backwards make it appear the figures are moving toward the camera. I been trying and can’t seem to get it to work. It all looks fine when I arrange all the elements within the program but when I preview it is in complete disarray.

The project I am working on can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEIxnlGPU_A&feature=youtu.be

If it can’t be done and anybody knows a work round to achieve the same effect please contact me.

I would very much appreciate any help.

Cheers

Robbie

Thanks lilly,
I thought I had followed the correct procedure, but I give it a go as uyou suggest and let you know how I get on.
However as I have a tight deadline for this particular project I have changed the background to one large image from which I panscale to give the impression of the characters walking through the scene. I am quite pleased with the result. But I will want to get to grips with the 3d possibilities within the program.
Thank you again and if you would like to see what I did it is at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XiqoSfDijU&feature=youtu.be

Well let’s see if I can help out a little.

First, you want to have all your bagckround elements on their own pegs. On each peg, you should double-click it to bring up the Layer Properties window, then you can select “Enable 3D” to be abe to move the elements in 3D space.

Then you can reposition the layers in 3D space using the Transform Tool or the Advanced Animation tools.

Then you can put another peg that will be the parent of all of the background elements. This will allow you to move the room as a whole.

Now if you want, as you said, you can animate the position of the room. This is totally fine if that’s the way you want to go.

There’s another way too, just so you know. You could animate the position of the camera, instead, and pull the camera out, so that the camera is moving with relation to the room.

If you want to go with this approach, then you’ll attach a peg to your camera and animate the camera.

If you want your characters to also stick with the camera framing, then you can attach the same peg that controls the camera, also to all your character layers. Then they’ll stay with the camera as it moves.

Let me know how it goes!

~Lilly